Wifi connection problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flash1823, Nov 19, 2009.

1. flash1823

flash1823 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    A few days ago i made a post about my wifi connection not working after doing upgrading to 3.1.2 and jailbreaking with blackrain. After many restores and jailbreaks and no wifi connection which meant i couldnt unlock the phone. So i gave up took the phone to someone who knew more then me about this, so they where able to jailbreak/unlock the phone for me installed cydia. They told me the wifi was woking that was how they where able to install cydia and unlock the phone. looks like the firmware was downgraded to 3.1 but the baseband is still at 5.11.07. Happy the phone was jailroken and unlocked but i still cant get no damn wifi connection, how the hell? even after resetting network settings. Is there any way to fix this, because the person that unlocked the phone for me must have gotten some type of wifi to do what he did. Any ideas, suggestions on what i should do?
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Is the WiFi just not connecting or is it grayed out (can't even get into it)?

If it is an option and you can turn it on is it not connecting to any WiFi or just one in particular?

If it is working (not grayed out) and not connecting to any WiFi I think it may be internal. The WiFi antenna could be disconnected or damaged and it won't connect (I had this on a 2G). Try holding the iPhone very, very close to the wireless router and see if it will connect.
  3. Maxtcc

Maxtcc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I had kind of the same problem.

My iPod connected all over the city but not at my house, and after days of fruitless hours spent with Apple and apple techs. I finally stumbled on to the fact, which no-one seemed to mention to me, is that the iPod Touch is only wireless (g) enabled at this time.. my home network was set up as wireless (n).
    So I have had to downgrade my wireless to (g) to have the iPod touch work all the time.

Hope this helps.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Good point there Maxtcc: Didn't even think of that.

iPhone is the same and only supports 802.11 b / g
  5. flash1823

flash1823 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The option is NOT greyed out, it searches then it stops, searches stops... I thought it mayu have been my router but i took it outside and nothing, went to a starbucks nothing as well. Tried getting connection in obvious places where i knew there would be wifi and nothing. Not sure what the problem may be.
  6. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Huh? I have a wireless N router (not dual n/g) and my iPhone connects just fine.
  7. Maxtcc

Maxtcc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yes, you may have a wireless N router. But if it is not a dual band router( which the better newer ones are) , which run in both N and G spectrums simultaneously. Then if you do not set the preferences manually for N , the older ones will run in G mode. Such is the case with my Apple Base station extreme, that is 3 years old.
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

What kind of router is it?

Tech Specs for the 3GS.
  9. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

My Router at home.

I was mistaken. I have the Linksys Wireless N-Router, but I was not aware that wireless g is a standard. I thought wireless g was only available with a dual band router.
  10. Maxtcc

Maxtcc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    G is the older standard for wireless 802.11
    with B being even older.
    N is the new standard but is not fully implemented and this burns us all as the iPod Touch and iPhone both could use N if and when it is implemented for and on the devices.