Wifi connection problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MadJawa, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadJawa

MadJawa New Member

Hi,

I have an iPod Touch 8GB and I just bought an OvisLink W54USBv2 WiFi USB stick because I don't have WiFi at home. So I made an "ad-hoc" network on my computer.

But when I want to join my network with the iPod Touch, it says "unable to join the network ...". But it looks like it's connected because the signal appear at the top left

Please Register or Log in to view images

But whenever I go back to the main menu, it disappear after 1-2 seconds...

Also, when I launch Safari, it shows the list of near networks, so I select my network : "Unable to join the network blah blah blah".. But sometimes it loads the page behind the error message, so I press Cancel and I have Internet! But if I quit Safari, WiFi disconnects after 1 or 2 seconds too. So I can't open Youtube, etc...

Help me...

Do you think my WiFI USB stick is incompatible? At first I wanted to buy the Netgear WG111 but I saw the OvisLink one that is cheaper.. Do I have to buy a WiFi Access Point?

EDIT : here is a video showing the problem -> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4979j_ipod-touch-wifi-problem_tech
  2. TiKo

TiKo Member

3. MadJawa

MadJawa New Member

I already tried that..

But I found that it works with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 (I still have the "unable to connect" error but the Wifi connection is working well. But when I upgraded to 1.1.3, I got the same problem, "unable to connect" and wifi connection is lost after few seconds)
  4. TiKo

TiKo Member

connecting to an open network doesn't work either??
    what ip do you get when after the "unable to connect" message? cause if it's 169.* then it's something with your ip's..
    or maybe just try to reset network setup? worst case.. reinstall everything? :s
  5. FcKw

FcKw New Member

I have exactly the same problem, but only with my ad-hoc network with my Vista notebook, when i connect to my wifi at home the ipod keeps connected! The ad-hoc wifi worked with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, but not with 1.1.3.
    I restored it twice, but I get always the same problem. I used the dev team soft upgrade.

Has anybody got an ad-hoc network working with jb 1.1.3 or non-jb 1.1.3?

I also always get the message "unable to join the network" even with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, but there it keeps connected. Is this normal with an ad-hoc network?

thanks

FcKw
  6. lonzy12

lonzy12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have the same problem, my vista adhoc connection works fine on 1.1.2 and 1.1.1 jb-ed and not jb-ed, but noth with either type of 1.1.3, main reason i downgraded!
  7. FcKw

FcKw New Member

Hey thanks, that works! But its not really a solution to the problem.

But anyway thank you.
  8. MadJawa

MadJawa New Member

I always get the "unable to join the network" error too, no matter what firmware it is. But with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, the connection stays (but it won't "remember" the network) but it doesn't work with 1.1.3 (jb / non jb). This is REALLY annoying! Please help! Do I have to buy another USB WiFi stick or will I still get the same error?

And yes I tried with an open network when I was outdoor and it worked well, and it reconnects automaticaly when I'm near! Also, I get a 169.* IP. Even with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. I have to "renew lease" to have a correct IP!
  9. lonzy12

lonzy12 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apparently in .1 and .2 the developers didnt insert the code to terminate the connection after the error message, so its still usable, but in .3 they did.... t'would make more sense to just fix the problem!
  10. MadJawa

MadJawa New Member

Yes but what is really the problem? I think I'll return my current wifi dongle and buy a different one and see if it works better... I don't want to buy a $50+ router only for the ipod
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.