Wifi at school

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IanPR, Jan 24, 2008.

1. IanPR

IanPR New Member

Hey,

I know you get this a lot, but i think a lot of the situations are different.
    My school requires a Username and Password to logon.
    Now I found out the WEP key, and am on the router.
    (Stupid Admin = Easy WEP key)

Now its giving me this error, cannot find server.
    Ive tried using different public DNS servers, but they dont work either.

Do I have to use a manual HTTP proxy?
    If so, how can i use Internet Explorer (sans Internet Options), and maybe even an old version of firefox to find out my schools http proxy, and port number?

thanks a lot,
    IanPR
  2. tsice19

tsice19 New Member

Just to warn you, you are practically breaking every rule in your school's acceptable use policy. But, aside from that, most schools have crazy blocks, proxies, and other junk to keep you from accessing fun or bad sites. I know at our school, you can only get online with approved programs... Firefox or IE7 won't work as they only approved IE6. So, you can try using an automatic proxy, but other than that there is pretty much no way around it, sorry. You could always ask your network admin, if he's cool he might give it to you. Or a cool teacher might help you get it.
  3. Branbrans

Branbrans New Member

ask a teacher!
  4. IanPR

IanPR New Member

My network admin is a b*tch.
    And our school security is so dumb.
    They dont even use firewalls, just a program named Bess, which you can EASILY get around.
    (Not that I do it... lolcats.com isn't blocked so im good)
    I think im giving up on the idea.
  5. sadgoat

sadgoat New Member

my school had 256 bit wPA encryption. Funny thing though, it would be extremely hard to crack that. But my network admin types in the password for anyone with a laptop, and all I had to do was get a program that reads all the wireless keys stored on a computer and run it on my friends laptop, and away we go.
  6. T0uchD0wn

T0uchD0wn New Member

Well, most school's block proxies, but if your's doesn't then try it. Otherwise ask a cool teacher.
  7. ARUS

ARUS New Member

I asked the school assistant and he asked for my mac-adress - I gave him my iPod-macadress and after this I can use WiFi at school. It´s really cool, because I can download podcasts for the way to home, check my emails or find solutions in the internet for difficult tasks in physics

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Alot of the time... Your school will have a wifi network that appears not to work... You can type any password... Try typing santaclause, I bet you will get on. I think these networks are for something special :O
  9. djrio2008

djrio2008 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My school has wifi but i can not find it anywhere i go. I know we have it b/c we have wireless laptops that have internet. But i havent used the laptops in a while to look at the network name. Is there any app that can find wireless wifi?
  10. Paintball

Paintball New Member

Well, the BSSID broadcast may be off, so if you use an app called stumbler, you can find out if there is a hidden network and if its encrypted, but seeing as you don't have the BSSID, you won't be able to go on. Unless, it's unencrypted and you find the name of the network.