WiFi at my office

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deleted account, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ok so at my office, we all use laptops, and have wireless internet, which blocks out YouTube, MySpace, etc. And the blocks are lifted when we take our laptops home, so its the network. I can't connect my touch to their network, I was wondering if I needed to put in a MAC address or a certain IP, because a proxy would be useless if I cant even get into the network, there isn't a pass code on the network, its open. So my question is how I could connect my iTouch to the network, and then once that happens I could use a proxy.
  2. Anybody?
    (characters)
  3. racedude

racedude New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It sounds like your work is using MAC Address filtering. If you do not know what that means, I will explain. All network devices have a specific address or MAC Address. Your work sounds like what it is doing is logging all the MAC Address's of all the network devices that 'should' be on the network, such as your laptop. That goes through the router and allows it to pass. But since your iPod touch is not on the list of approved MAC Address's, it cannot connect. I would ask your IT department if they can allow your iPod touch to be added to the network. They will ask for some information if they allow it and then you can connect. For the proxy, go into wifi and select the network. At the bottom it will say HTTP Proxy. You can select Manual and enter the proxy settings. I would not recommend doing this as this may be against your network policy and can lead you to getting fired if lets say, because of the proxy you accessed a site that had a virus on it that would normally be blocked. It could let a virus on the network, and you would be responsible.

Good luck!
    Kyle
  4. No, I dont think they will add my touch to the network haha which is why I came here in the first place, say I found out someones MAC address, IP address, etc, could I set it up in the iPod and it would work
  5. racedude

racedude New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    On a computer that wouldn't be hard to do. Unfortunately on a iPod touch, their is no ability to clone a MAC address so you are out of luck. Sorry.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. damn lol ok well thanks anyways