Wifi at my college... ??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattyusk2002, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mattyusk2002

mattyusk2002 New Member

First off, sorry if this was asked before because I looked briefly and didn't find anything. Well, anyways, I have a touch and my college has wifi, but you have to go see them so they can let you get on their network. I went in with my touch and the guy there said that the iphone and the touch and any apple computer can't log on to their wifi. Maybe... but I don't think so. It's not that they filter out apple computers, the guys says there's a compatibility issue... Now here's the thing! When I open up the wifi settings in my touch I get two networks that show up. 1)My university's main wifi, and 2)Guest account limited access, I guess for people that are visiting or not students. Well, I can't log on to the University wifi because I don't have their password or anything like that and the network is locked. On the limited guest account access network that is not locked, I can connect and go to a web page that asks for user name, and password, this is the only web page I can view. The web page is displayed correctly and has the correct images and everything. I compared it to what it looked like on a friends laptop (who can access the universities wifi) and the pages look the exact same. This leads me to believe that if I can't log into the university's main wifi, I would be able able to log into their guest network for internet access since I can get to the main screen for it. I think the guy was a lazy piece of sh*t! He was like. "Ohh.. what is that??? An iphone?? It wont work." Then I said it was a touch and he said, "Oh, well that wont work either." Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be descriptive as possible. Is it true that the touch is incompatible with the main network, but yet seems compatible with the guest network? I should have asked to setup a guest account and I really think it would have worked. I think he said it was compatibility issue with WPA and the University uses WPA2, or something like that, I'm not even sure what that means.
  2. JustoHermano

JustoHermano New Member

I don't know much about networking but it sounds like this guy is either lazy or screwing with you.

I'd try and go when there's someone else working there
  3. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    No very few dont work but it sounds like hes taking the piss or just Cba to tell you it
    Say that your freind has one and it works with him or that you just want to try it anyway

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. linds

linds New Member

wpa2 works fine on the touch.. but the touch doesn't have 802.1x support which he might have meant
  5. atticus182

atticus182 New Member

it cannot be done

the iPhone/iTouch does not support 802.1x at this time, this is a specific protocol used at universities and high schools.. i have the same problem

6. swellhead

swellhead New Member

well @ my college they use a http proxy which all http traffic has to go though.

and this requires login details

these can be put in option wifi options.
  7. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I don't think the OP said they were using 802.1X (unless I missed that in a follow up comment). You may be right in which case the OP is screwed. However, it does appear that they have a guest network which I would doubt would be using 802.1X since there is no guarantee that any laptop or mobile device would support that protocol.

It is possible that whatever authentication they are using is not compatible with the Touch because it uses goofy login script or something.
  8. 02 turbo

02 turbo New Member

Have you ever used the computers thar they have available at the school? I know at my school, i can go into any computer lab and log in using my school id and my password. If you dont know what yours are, check with administration. I can get onto the wifi at school from both my laptop and touch the same way.

Posted From my Touch on my school's wifi.