WiFi according to Apple Support

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IceBerg, Jun 22, 2009.

1. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Unfortunatly I do not have recordings of the conversation but here are the basics.

I started noticing the wifi drops myself yesterday so I called support 5 min before they opened today and luckily got in and got though a whole minuet before they opened.

There are issues with wifi if you update to 3.0 then restore your 2.x apps and settings. To correct the majority of the problems:

settings > general > reset > reset network settings

this will wipe out all your network settings back the the 3.0 firmware defaults.

Now the guy I talked to, Jerry, said there is also a problem they are looking into where even if you have it set not to lock the screen (lock set to never) that the 3.0 is going into low power mode and turning off wifi even if there is a stream. This is bad news for those of us using things like pandora radio and such.

I plan to muddle through the settings in the console and see if I can find all the power-save settings and fix it myself, if so I will post back here. If anyone else happens across any settings you think might be useful let me know.

I hope this helps some of you.
  2. DarkAura17

DarkAura17 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    really? It's a lot faster for me.
  3. drunkevil

drunkevil New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you have a jailbroken ipod touch there is an app called KeepAwake that keeps your WiFi on even if the ipod is on sleep.
  4. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    speed isn't the issue, it's dropped signals.

I don't notice any speed problems, just listening to streams it will just drop. It's better now that I did the above, but it will still just drop and I have to restart the pandora app
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Great to know, I am going to try that.
  5. rrroscoe

rrroscoe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Boy, by looking at your other posts, and how you think other members are "stupid", I am surprised, that you- Mr. Apple iPod Touch is having problems. Are you sure people on this forum can help someone with your expertise?

I like my itouch.
  6. IceBerg

IceBerg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    A bug in the way apple is handling wifi and sleep/lock has nothing to do with expertise (which I never claimed) on my part.
  7. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Hmmm, while I do agree that the 3.0 firmware's WiFi is now more "active" in the sense that the WiFi indicator follows the actual signal strength, it actually seems faster than the one on OS 2.2.1... Pages load pretty quick and even the Stocks app is very responsive at a 2-bar WiFi signal...

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Raytheon117

Raytheon117 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah it does feel faster, however, I am one of those who experience those dreaded wi-fi drops. It's quite annoying. I'd take the iPod out of sleep, load up Safari, click a link or access a bookmark and then instantly the wifi icon that was on turns off, i get a popup saying that im not connected to the internet, then about a second later the icon comes back up and im connected. It's the most irritating thing sometimes. One extra step to keep clicking okay. It lasts longer sometimes too...

I just tried that network settings reset, so let's see what happens. I never restored from any backup mind you, but maybe some settings got carried over.
  9. Unreal Boy

Unreal Boy Member

Device:
    iPad
    i still use 2.2.1 so my wifi is fine lol
  10. IckDk

IckDk New Member

i use 2.2.1 and my wifi drops all the time, it's really annoying, when im surfin the web or looking at videos on youtube. It first says im not connected than a minute later the connection comes back.