Wierd glitch cripples Music/Video players

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Darlyn, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    So I'm tinkering with some of the directories on my iPod when I come across /Applications/MobileTimer.app. In this folder I found what look like PDF files. Out of sheer curiosity, I decide to open these files in PDF Viewer. Upon doing this, PDF Viewer fires up as a blank white screen (status bar is visible though.)

Assuming the application has simply crashed, I press the Home button; nothing happens. Then I press the Lock button; nothing happens. I realize that I have finally made my iPod crash and proceed to reboot it. This works out fine and I assume all is jolly-good until I look at my dock; the Music/Video icons are missing. After making sure nothing has happened to MobileMusicPlayer.app, I try to play it smooth by double-pressing the home button. Hoping the little pop-up would take me to my music, I hit "Music". I get the little loading animation and the iPod simply stops responding. Rebooting takes me back to the home screen, but the media player was still missing.

Following this ordeal, I restored and all is well now. I was wondering, what the hell could have caused this? Are the .pdf files really PDFs or are they something else? If so, what else?

Please discuss.

EDIT 1/12/08:
    I happened again! This time I was just uninstalling Touch Adavnced Preferences ... I have gone into WTF-mode and currently restoring my iPod...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why could this be happening? Might it be Installer?

Here is a list of apps I had when this happened: Squid, MobilePreview, PDF Viewer, MobileFinder, MobileTextEdit, Lights Off, Flashlight, Custimize (with manually fixed .plist file), Installer, weDict, Services, HP-11c. MobileChat, SM, Converter, NES, Ball, Photoboard, Multitouch, Sketches, Sysinfo, and BouncingApp. All of these were up to date and have been running file on my 1.1.1 iPod (I purchased it as 1.1.2, downgraded.)
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I doubt they are Adobe Portable Document Format files. What would be the point? It is probably an overlapping file extension used to some purpose in the timer app.

As to what caused it -- my guess, buffer overflow that somehow caused bits of memory to be written where they shouldn't be, which seems to indicate that the PDF reader's error handling isn't as robust as it needs to be.
  3. fr0z3nic3

fr0z3nic3 New Member

Dude.. Your not suppose to tamper with those files those are the files that are aquired in the hardrive and shouldn't be tampered with..
  4. mast3rpyr0

mast3rpyr0 New Member

this sounds like some thing i did once. I ran a file i found called meat or meda or something from the directory with the terminal apps and it chamged permissioms or something cause non of my apps worked
  5. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I happened again! This time I was just uninstalling Touch Adavnced Preferences ... I have gone into WTF-mode and currently restoring my iPod (with touchFree) ...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why could this be happening?

Here is a list of apps I had when this happened: Squid, MobilePreview, PDF Viewer, MobileFinder, MobileTextEdit, Lights Off, Flashlight, Custimize (with manually fixed .plist file), Installer, weDict, Services, HP-11c. MobileChat, SM, Converter, NES, Ball, Photoboard, Multitouch, Sketches, Sysinfo, and BouncingApp. All of these were up to date and have been running file on my 1.1.1 iPod (I purchased it as 1.1.2, downgraded.)
  6. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I didn't tamper with anythin ... I just tried to open it in PDF Viewer. I didn't do anything to the files. Anyway, the second time it happened I wasn't even messing around with such files; just uninstalling something.