Wi-Fi wherever you go?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bubs58, Jan 1, 2008.

1. bubs58

bubs58 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Can you buy a wireless router (around 60$) and go on a highway lets say in your vehical.

Wouldn't the router give you Wi-Fi?

Is it possible?
  2. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

The router has to be connected to a source of internet, such as a laptop that is able to share it's connection with a EDGE or 3-G network.
  3. iTouchCesar

iTouchCesar New Member

your router would have to be plugged in
  4. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if your car has internet then it is

if you maybe pay for somthing from sprint to get mobile brodband then u can go on your laptop but idk about putting it out over a router
  5. linds

linds New Member

No that's not how wireless routers work. The router would have to be connected to an internet source.
  6. skyline_-

skyline_- New Member

No you would need an internet source.

laugh.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, actually there is something being offered - it basically allows you to use a cellular network cards (from AT&T, Sprint, etc.) and the offers Wi-Fi access - http://www.junxion.com/product/

Of course, if you're going to that effort, just get an iPhone and be done with it...
  8. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

Kyocera also makes one that is compatible with Verizon and Sprint.

Yep, you're going to have to pay $60 to get Verizon EVDO service or the same for AT&T wireless card service so it would be silly to go down this road. Just buy an iPhone.
  9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I bought my wife an Amazon Kindle (e-book reader) for Christmas. It has FREE EVDO networking included. It did come with an (experimental) browser, but the monochrome screen/odd format don't make for a very pleasurable web browsing experience.

Any minute now I expect someone to figure out a way to hack it so that it can serve as an ad-hock internet gateway for things like an iPod Touch or even your laptop in a car. The Kindle already has cell-based GPS capability, so it is with us by default no matter where we go. I'm so addicted to my iPod Touch that it is also with me everywhere I go.
  10. aaquib

aaquib Banned

Here in Canada, Rogers has something called "Portable Internet." And, you can plug it into any power outlet and get Internet as long as you're in Canada. I don't see why you wouldn' be able to hook it up to the car's power outlet and then attach a router to it to give your Touch wifi on the road.