Wi-Fi Syncing

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by hockeyhui10, Dec 29, 2008.

?

Is this an app you would want?

1. Definitely Yes

71.9%
  2. Yes

19.3%
  3. No

5.3%
  4. Definitely No

3.5%
  1. hockeyhui10

hockeyhui10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A very useful app would be one that allows you to sync your iPod Touch to iTunes wirelessly. There are already apps that allow you to control your iTunes library on your Touch so why not sync with the library? I understand that Zune has a patent on wifi syncing already but it would still be a very useful app. I wouldn't have to plug in my iPod every time I want to sync it. It already has wifi capabilities so why not?
  2. BaseballMVP755

BaseballMVP755 Banned

no unless it had password protection cuz i wouldnt want to see random stuff on my ipod wen i go to a friends house.. or walk by my neghbors house, or something
  3. hockeyhui10

hockeyhui10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes that would be cool but i dont know what that guy means when he said it would pick up other peoples wifi. your gona pick up that wifi anyways and you can only sync to one computer so it wouldnt hurt at all. the zune does it so...yeah.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This would be nice. Probably very slow. If we could schedule it to sync at what ever time then that would be great. Just leave it next to my bed and it automatically syncs while I sleep.
  6. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is very doable. I actually think it's possible I could do this. Imagine it as an extension of iPhone Utilities that uses either SSH or USB to sync with your itunes Library.

I know you guys haven't seen much out of iPhone Utilities... and I have promised release date after release date for it.. but it's coming just as soon as I take care of a few other things (like my certification exams). I also accidentally deleted my latest project file(s) and the previous 2 backups so I was set back about 2 months worth of code.

But as far as making SSH sync... I think I can do it. WITH iTunes and not some pwnplayer deal. If you want, I can even make an extension to import pwnplayer/music files directly into iTunes. It'll be interesting for sure. The worst brunt of it would be handling plist files in Windows since there isn't really much of a way to read them aside from XML, but I am not 100% sure that the standards are close enough to work with each other.

PM me your thoughts/requests on this. I'm not exactly attached to this thread so I may not see your posts.

Thanks.
  7. spitfiremkiii

spitfiremkiii New Member

I have an ipod touch and just bought 2 iphone 3Gs about a week ago and I'm greatly disappointed that I still have to plug the 'touch & 'phones in to my mac with a USB cable to sync them every time. How very last century. This must be a deliberate omission as microsof....oops I mean Apple want you to pay ~$100 a year to use their Mobileme service. This is after paying ~$2.5K for the laptop, another $125 for the latest OS, ~$400 for the 'touch ~$600 for the phone and another ~$120 a month to ATT (family plan). So why can't I sync over peer to peer wifi! I'm one annoyed customer!
  8. mgiljum

mgiljum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    then go buy a zune and stop complaining.
  9. TrinitronX

TrinitronX New Member

It is possible

This is quite possible. Right now in Linux you can sync amarok with the iPod touch or iPhone using an sftp mounted filesystem.

Doing this in windows would be a bit more difficult, since you'd need a filesystem driver that supported sftp and posed itself like a USB mass storage device in order to "trick" iTunes into seeing it as an iPod.

As far as making an app.. I'm not sure how this could be done without a windows based clientside fs driver so iTunes would interface with it.
  10. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    what about bluetooth syncing?