Wi-fi Range SEVERLY WORSE!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zackattk1993, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Zackattk1993

Zackattk1993 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a 1G iPod Touch. I decided to buy the 3.0 update from Apple... now I regret it. I live in an apartment complex, and my old laptop detects about 15 different networks at full or near full strength. My iPod on 2.2.1 also detected as many, and I could connect to my home network with full bars downstairs (which my laptop can still do fine).

Once I install 3.0, 2 networks show up total with 1 bar (neither of them are even my home...). So I tried getting closer, and I LITERALLY had to be within a 5 feet radius of my router to get a signal (any longer and nothing connects).

I decided to go back to 2.2.1. After a lot of trouble doing that, I succeeded but the range is still nearly dead and showed no improvement at all. Did 3.0 fry my wi-fi chip!?
  2. luke104

luke104 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    I feel this also, after i upgraded to 3.0 my wifi range lowered, hoping for a new update to improve this to bring it back to the strength it was on lower firmwares
  3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I have noticed the wifi bars are lower than normal but I can still connect just fine any where I did when I was on 2.2.1. Maybe its just a bug that displays the wifi bars inaccurately.
  4. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i noticed the same thing,
    i keep disconnecting when im not that close to my router
  5. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I feel my WIFI range is way better. 2.2.1: 2 networks show up. 3.0: 8 show up
  6. Zackattk1993

Zackattk1993 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I feel as if nobody's problem is quite as bad as mine, see I have to hold my iPod 1 foot from the antenna of my wireless router now to get a signal. It's practically gone.

Is anybody else this bad?
  7. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    mine has gotten better. i never got signal in my attic, but with 3.0 i manage to get 1 bar.

you said you have a 1g, but your account setting says you have a 2g. which is it? my 1g works fine. you may have possibly installed an improper ipsw to your device, ie if you have both devices the firmware for the 2g may have somehow installed on your 1g. i doubt itunes would have made this mistake, but if you di the shift click restore you may have done it yourself accidentally. hmmm.

you said you bought 3.0, but i have doubts. i'll bet you downloaded the firmware, and get the wrong build, and or you picked the wrong ipsw when you shift clicked restored. make sure you have the 3.0 firmware for the ipod touch 1g, and then install it, yes there are individual firmwares per device.

sorry for making accusations, but it may fix your problem.
  8. MrFalador

MrFalador New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    just wait for 3.1 or buy Wifitrak for 99cents
  9. Shaded Light

Shaded Light Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    wifitrak wont do crap.... its no different than the default wifi settings give you.
  10. ipodmail09

ipodmail09 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yer i know its a bunch of monkey poop and they charge your for it