Wi-fi radar

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Indahousetoucher, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Indahousetoucher

Indahousetoucher New Member

well, i was searching through youtube for internet connection increasers, then there was video about a wi-fi radar, which showed all wi-fi acces points in the area, i dont know if this was real, because my computer doesnt have a wi-fi adapter, but since the ipoT does, would it be possible to make a app like this, that would actually work?

Please Register or Log in to view images

i know that the wi-fi doesnt have a big range but if someone would try to create a app like this, it would be great, especially wen ur in an unknown area and want to find a wi-fi connection for SIP-vio phone or how its called.
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Check out an app called Stumbler, it is exactly what you're looking for

3. hawaii94

hawaii94 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What is the source code?
  4. hockeycraze12000

hockeycraze12000 New Member

hes not looking for stumbler, thats just an app that has more features than the default way apple does it...

a wifi RADAR would maybe use maps, or the new locateme service, to show different wifi hotspots in ur immediate vicinity...

although there is no app like this, you could try to make it...
  5. Indahousetoucher

stumbler isnt what i'm looking for, stumbler shows the networks in the area, but the wi-fi radar for laptops and wireless devices is like a radar that SHOWS u were to find a wi-fi WITHOUT any protection on it. Btw the video is here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3lNqqryPBNU

and the other cool thing is, that the one for computer with wi-fi or laptops, when it found a good network, it opes IE or Mozilla, and this could also be possible on a ipod touch.

here is something interesting that i found, they sell a version of the wi-fi radar for the mobile, but the one for laptops is free.

this might have been a stupid idea because the wi-fi does not exactly have a big range, but if someone could give a try i would be happy to use it. I myself am not a developer, so i cant create this app
  6. kurtisboyd

kurtisboyd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    sorry if this is considered spam (it shouldn't be)

but there is a ipod touch compatible website called podcade.com and one of the applications on in is like a wifi searcher thing ur talking about. u need to be connected to wifi though... you enter the place you are in (like suburb and postcode) and you can limit your options to free spots as well.

it's been a while since i've been on there though so sorry if this is a description that is hard to understand.

hope this is useful.

EDIT: the home bit for this site links to iptf

7. Indahousetoucher

No of course its not spam, its like a recommendation, but that is LIKE something what i mean, except for that there is no wi-fi required and that it searches the area for free acces points. cos u know how the wi-fi searches for a network, if it would be possible that the wi-fi actually searches a network.
  8. mikeschmidt

mikeschmidt New Member

theres an app called earthcomber it finds atms restraunts n stuff like that but it also tells u the cosest free wifi connection is
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    theirs also wififofum it costs 2.99 but it shows u all nearest wifi connections on a map if it has a wep key its a colored in trangle if its free its a clear triangle
  9. MikeBoi

MikeBoi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lol, What hes after is a app like the ones your mentioning, but on your Ipod touch, yes this would be cool, but when you go setting>wifi> it auto searched for wifi connections within range, i went around a friends house, found a non secured wifi connection, and connected, someone forgot to put security on their Router xD
  10. jd155

jd155 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Attached Files:

• wifi.bmp
      File size:
      434.1 KB
      Views:
    • wifi.PNG
      wifi.PNG
      File size: