wi-fi question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dogman, Oct 24, 2007.

1. dogman

dogman New Member

my home network is all wired and i haven't had time to get to a starbucks or Barnes & Noble to test out Safari on my Touch.

However, when I'm home, and I check my Wi-Fi settings, I see an available network "Linksys." I live in a condo, so I'm guessing its from one of my neighbors. The network does not appear to be locked (requiring a password). I get an IP address (192.168.100.11 I believe), but when I try to view a web page I get:

"safari can't open the page because it can't find the server"

Anyone know what's going on here? Am I finding a valid network? Should I be able to access it since there is no password requirement?
  2. ricklohre

ricklohre New Member

funny, i get that every now and then....
    i had it happen at work...had to go in and change the proxy settings to - http://autoproxy."company name".com:8080
  3. reichea

reichea New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    There are two possible scenarios here:

1) The Linksys router is up and running, but is not connected to an ISP (usually via a broadband modem connection). You will be getting an IP address handed out by the router, and you are indeed on that router's LAN, but no Internet connection is available (most likely scenario).

2) The Linksys wireless router you are attempting to log onto may have an "access list" active. This allows only the machines with the specific MAC addresses (device-specific addresses) that the owner has entered into the list to be able to log in. It will show up as an "Open" network, but in reality it is even more secure than one with WEP enabled.
  4. dogman

dogman New Member

thanks for the reply. seems unlikely that someone who leaves their network open would bother to set up an access list. anyway, i will try to get to a starbucks this weekend to test my browser...
  5. appwizard

appwizard New Member

try this

since you say the IP you are getting is 192.168.100.11 and not 192.168.1.11 that tells me that the owner of the router has made some kind of changes... There could be an access control list, try to log into the router and check the settings, you will also be able to see if it is connected to an ISP from the status screen of the router. If it is and there is no access control list, you may have a DNS issue with that router and will have to set your IP and DNS server info manually.

The ip of The router should be 192.168.100.1 the default linksys username is admin and the default password is either blank, password or admin.

Be careful not to screw up the router as it may raise suspicions and could cause the owner to add a WEP key...
  6. dogman

dogman New Member

Can this be done from the Touch ? My PC network is entirely wired.
  7. dogman

dogman New Member

OK, the router's address is actually 192.168.1.1

I've successfully entered the router admin screen through Safari.

Now I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

EDIT... hmm seems to have stopped working. i was able to move around
    a few router screens, but now it stopped responding...
  8. dogman

dogman New Member

well i don't see any restrictions, but i don't wanna mess up their router. i just want to see a web page come up one time. so barnes & noble or starbucks is my best best for a free hotspot ?
  9. reichea

reichea New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I'm in agreement that the "access list" option is probably not what is happening, but more my scenario #1.

However, to be clear, the "access list" option is really NOT an open network per se - it just LOOKS open. Try logging in to an open network with an access list enabled on a device that is not included in the list. Not in a million years!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. appwizard

appwizard New Member

if it were an access list, you would not have been able to access the router, and since the IP is 192.168.1.1, they problaby did not make any changes and the best bet is that they may not have an ISP like was stated before, however, you can go to the status screen of the router admin page and see if the router is designated an WAN IP address, if it is, then look to see what the DNS servers are set to and write that down, then go to your ipod's settings screen -> wi-fi, change the connection type for this router to DHCP, and assign yourself an ip of 192.168.1.211, a netmask of 255.255.255.0, and set the DNS servers as you've written down, then make sure the proxy setting is turned off, if there is an ISP, you will have internet access.

and yes, I would have done all of this from my touch..

before you do any of this, you could do a test to see if it is a DNS issue by trying to go to a web page by IP address instead of name, for example, try to go to http://64.233.167.99/ this is the IP for google.com, if google comes up, you have a DNS issue, otherwise, since you are connected to the router, they do not have an ISP connected, or they have their modem turned off...