wi-fi chat

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by welshboy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. welshboy

welshboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The title kinda speaks for itself, there might already be something like this out there but... Basically its a program that lets you chat to other iPod touch or iPhone users through the wi-fi connection, no internet needed, just plain old wi-fi, also you could have "whats playing" the title, name, etc show up on the other persons screen. Theres tones of cool features that this could have. Would it be possible though? because the iPhone/Touch doesn't really need to connect to the internet, it connects to a router, and the router doesn't need a connection, so... unless apple have put some kind of block against two devices connecting to each other, there shouldn't be a problem?
  2. taz

taz New Member

Yeah, kind of like the Nintendo DS. I was thinking about this too. I wasnt quite sure if it was possible or not. We can hope right.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Assassin Sheepdog

Assassin Sheepdog New Member

This would be a great app

And I am pretty sure it is possible, I am not sure but I think that is how ipong works (but I can be totally wrong, this is just an assumption). I don't think SSH requires an internet connections either [to like a server thing, it just requires 2 devices w/ wifi], because when uploading files to my itouch with that, it goes at ~250 kb/sec while my DSL internet only goes ~70 kb/sec.

Someone who is good at that kind of stuff should contact the creators of SSH about that. I have no clue how to write stuff in anything besides a couple windows languages, so I would be of little use there.
  4. H3X

H3X New Member

This would be cool.

It would be cool for me who is in a classroom to be chatting with my friends who could be in other classrooms(after school, of course

).
  5. welshboy

welshboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    exactly what i was thinking! my friend is getting an iPod touch soon, so i could chat to him. Atm i cannot connect to the internet in my school because the routers are protected

6. Night-Hawk

Night-Hawk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    There is a way for instant messagers like Aim and msn and icq!!! Its one of the app in the installer......
    Its called MobileChat.
    if you install that then you can connect to your already existing account!!!!
  7. coolcosmos

coolcosmos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Read before post dumb awnser. He want to chat with people with a iPod touch, not with his msn contact...
  8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    OOOOH, I see what you are saying like good old picto chat on the DS. For a minute I thought you were saying a router doesn't use an internet connection. Yeah, that's brilliant. I guess it could be called an ad-hoc connection.
  9. welshboy

welshboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yeah i know what it is

lmao, i would just love for someone to make this. A guy just got an iPod touch for his birthday in school with me, would be fun to chat to him lol
  10. Pyrofer

Pyrofer New Member

woctochat for the DS allows IP based chat.
    If that could be ported to the iPod then it would allow you to chat to the DS as well as other iPods...

Anybody fancy a challenge?