Wi-Fi Accessing the Internet When "Out And About"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pdmike, Apr 5, 2010.

1. pdmike

pdmike New Member

I can access the Internet just fine at home, because we have a wireless network setup there.

But when I am "out and about," I have difficulty accessing the Internet with my Touch. I can always bring up one, two or sometimes three Wi-Fi networks, when I am out and about. But they always ask for a password and won't let me in when I can't give them what they want.

I had heard that all you have to do is enter "any" password to log onto a We-Fi network wherever you might happen to be. It appears this is not the case. I know there are (many) places where Wi-Fi is provided free of charge - hotels, etc.

But what about when you are merely "out and about" and not within range of free Wi-Fi. Is there any way to still access the Internet? If so, how?
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Whoever told you that is severely mistaken.

Logging into other peoples protected wifi networks without permission is illegal and not supported at this forum.
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The only way to get into a secured network is to ask the person who owns it for the password and permission
  4. cameraboirzu

cameraboirzu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    WEP keys are used to keep people outside of Wifi networks if they shouldn't be in. My house has one so that our neighbors can't pick up a connection. It would be pretty useless if they could just type in anything and get in, wouldn't it?

If you're in a hotel, or a coffee shop that is advertising free Wifi, and there is a WEP key that needs to be known, I'm sure you could ask someone who works there for the key; otherwise there's no getting in.

There's a subway where I live, and I just had to ask the guys who worked there what the code is, and they let me know because they advertise free wifi.
  5. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Yup, that is precisely the reason why people lock their wireless networks, i.e. to prevent the connection being used by third-parties without permission. If you want to use a locked WiFi service, just ask the host for the login ID and password, simple as that!

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Tikker

Tikker Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When I'm at home I can use my key and get into the vehicles in
    my garage. When I am "out and about" there are tons of vehicles everywhere but when I try my key it doesn't work. How can I drive all these cars I see when I'm "out and about" ?
  7. cameraboirzu

cameraboirzu New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Haha. At first I was "what is this guy getting at?"
    Yeah, perfect example.
  8. eats7

eats7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    off topic a little, but i just wish there was some way for the ipod to automatically connect to the strongest unprotected network, instead of manually having to go into it. itd be handy
  9. Samphotog

Samphotog Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well if you don't mind paying you could get the mifi from verizon or sprint its $30 a month for a hot spot anywhere because it fits in your pocket and convert 3g signal into wifi that you can connect up to five devices to.
  10. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Well, true also, but at least the iPod will automatically connect to your selected network when returning to the same WiFi hotspot anyway.

For instance, when I use the touch to surf the 'Net in any Starbucks, all outlets will display the same WiFi network (also called "Starbucks") and will autoconnect accordingly. Now that's convenience!

Please Register or Log in to view images