Why you'll never see GPS on a Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by truthstar, Sep 13, 2008.

1. truthstar

truthstar Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Basically you need phone availability to actually use the GPS Apple uses, this is true to the best of my knowledge.

I learned this after doing some research that the iPhone uses assisted gps vs. regular old ( not so accurate) gps. I found out cause I wanted to get an iPhone and just use it as a iPod so I could have the GPS, no go.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

aGPS is not dependent on a cellular network. Yes, it prefers that you have one, but it is not a requisite. What happens is that the GPS receiver uses one or more nearby cellular towers to help it find its location faster. When there are no cellular towers nearby, it just uses standard GPS.

Assissted Global Positioning System.

However, you will never see GPS on an iPod because it is an iPod. iPods don't need GPS.
  3. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Kinda obvious, but thanks for the info.
  4. ilena

ilena New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I think the iPhone has a chip which provides UMTS and GPS in a all-in-one solution to save space. Therefore the iPod can never have GPS, because it would include UMTS

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, if someone comes up with a way to hack the bluetooth in the 2g and writes software to DUN with a cell phone then you could actually use the iphone gps....since it uses towers & WiFi Signals.....just using wifi I can very accurately triangulate