Why you should not use Icy.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by spoonforknife, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

This is a response of this thread. I think it's a good one.

OMG!!!! Icy is so cool looooking!!!!11eelvEN!

Have you ever heard the saying form over function? With Icy, you cannot purchase packages from the somewhat exclusive Cydia Store. In addition, if you tap on a category, it still shows installed packages. There's already an Installed tab for that.

Nor does Icy have a set of recommended/featured packages, more sources, an extensive series of tutorials, FAQs, SSH guide, developer tutorials, and more on it's main page.

Updates aren't easily shown, but more on that in a later section.

OMG!!!! Icy haz teh info pages now! It supports repository ownerz!

While RiP Dev fixed this with a handy blue arrow on the package view in the 1.1 update, Icy does not load pages nearly as much as Cydia does. This is anti-community. There are a few tiny, tiny advertisements on each page, and helping the community is a small price to pay.

Repository guy BigDaveyJ who works with BigBoss on Touch Revolution packages (hosting such packages like SliderKon, Tinee, TheZip, OutSource, etc.) has seen his advertisement revenue drop by half since Icy was released. This has not improved since the 1.1 Icy update.

Repository owners and uploaders are losing money. Do you want them to be able to keep hosting their repositories for us? Do you want to have to download everything by SSH, because we've shut them down? Icy doesn't support developers or repository owners.

In addition, the button will always be there, regardless of whether or not there is an actual depiction for the package. Various RiPDev packages have no depiction associated with them. The blue button is still there. You can wait for hours and nothing is going to show up. Icy won't tell you.

Cydia takes too long to refresh sources111!

Icy, Installer, and Cydia all refresh in the background. You can do whatever you want within the application while resources are refreshing. Our deluded associate seems to believe that there is a wait with Cydia. There isn't. It loads in the background.

Cydia also doesn't automatically refresh on launch. If you have refreshed within the past 10 minutes, Cydia will not automatically refresh again. Saurik has publicly stated that he is changing this to a longer time.

Also, Icy refreshes much slower than Cydia. From launch to ready to use, Cydia took 1 minute on the dot. Icy, on the other hand, took 1.5 minutes, with the same sources, the same iPod, the same damn thing. Tell me how that's better. It's not.

Updates are not shown. Cydia shows that I have two updates: SBSettings and Tinee. This is not the case with Icy. It shows nothing needs updating.

OMG!!!! Well... so... Cydia IS SLOW AND WEBbASED1`1

You say that a downfall of Cydia is that it's web-based. How is that a downfall? With a series of WebViews, it can be updated far more easily than Icy can. With this, saurik is able to post news bulletins about updating, packages, and more. He's an accessible guy.

Saurik has already said several times that he prefers to work on function and features before working on user interface. What's a pretty face without anything to back it up?

Let's not forget that saurik is the guy that brought us Winterboard, Cycorder, MobileSubstrate, MobileFinder (the port), Telesphoreo, and other open source projects like Veency.

What has RiP Dev brought us?

The monopolistic Kate that blocks Winterboard and other applications? The outdated AppTapp based Installer? InstallerApp, the $7 application that repository owners have already all but blocked?
  2. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Very well written explanations here.
    Props..
  3. moabal

moabal New Member

I am starting to think you hate me lol. Firstly, the Cydia store is a joke. None of those applications are useful to the average person. So that doesn't count. Cydia KINDA does it in the background but you really cannot go anywhere as the refresh thing takes up the whole page or you could crash. Maybe we don't care about the repositories? Its all about competition which will help make Cydia even greater if things heat up. Yes Cydia's home page is nice with tutorials. But all of these are of use with a computer. It is not that hard to find tutorials on youtube or ipod touch fans or modmyi for that matter. These are just small things that people must give up to use Icy. RiPDev is anti piracy it's not about the team its about the application. Windows doesn't have a good reputation but supposedly Windows 7 is good! Icy's refreshing has gotten MUCH MUCH faster. Updates are shown in Installed with a little red notification. WOOO you have to push the updates button to see it. The reason its like this is for space on the bottom. These things in Cydia have their own tab which is stupid since they are minor. It is all about space and compact.
  4. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I liked NullRiver better. They'd never do something like Icy.
  5. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

It's not the refreshing of sources in cydia that everyone complains about (and if they do they're retarded) it's the reloading data that takes forever!
    I personally still like cydia a lot better than icy, but I do use both.
  6. moabal

moabal New Member

People are even more retarded to say Icy takes longer than Cydia. Its a done case. People want speed. This is like Google Chrome vs. Firefox. However Icy has all the same features now and will have more coming this weekend!
  7. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    saurik could probably code something like icy up pretty quickly and i would trust it more ( icy crashes a lot for me) but i like cydia more.
  8. moabal

moabal New Member

I think you guys are just listening to a moderator. How is ripdev not trustworthy? You forget all the hard work they did in 1.1x? Just because they are anti piracy you gotta give heads up to the software.
  9. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Erm... excuse me? I've never seen you onthis forum besides the thread I am referencing. Don't take too much offense, I'm partially trying to play devil's advocate.

Back to the topic at hand.

SwirlyMMS is an MMS application that has survived since the 1.1.x days. How is Voicemail Forwarder not useful? Do you like having no pictures to go with your default contacts? iWipe removes sensitive data from your device.

How are any of those not helpful?

I just uninstalled a package while it was refreshing sources. It's not taking up the whole page. It takes up a navigation bar. It's like 40 pixels. That's not even close to the whole page.

You don't care about repositories? These are some people's sources of income, like Shaun T. Erickson, the guy who runs STE. Do you want to put them on the streets? Neither Cydia nor Icy would exist without repositories. You're contradicting your entire point.

You're missing the point. Forums like iPod touch Fans and ModMyI are exclusive to the ├╝ber nerdy bunch of people like us. Every other iPod owner I know that has their device jailbroken has no freaking clue that this site exists. YouTube tutorials are outdated and full of misinformation.

Are you going to check your YouTube tutorial from March to let it tell you that you shouldn't update to 2.2.1, because your baseband will break? You can change your SFTP password without use of a computer, you can do a crapload of things without the use of a computer and the Cydia Home page.

The fact that they created Kali does not make them any more anti-piracy than any other developer. I agree with you there. That last part was just a point to get you to think.

I'm testing the newest version of each. Did you think I went back and got an old version?

Yeah I did that. It wasn't there.

New packages are not a minor thing. Icy has an entire tab devoted to it's about page. Compact huh?
  10. jailbreak123

jailbreak123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I thought icy was pretty legit but now its slow never updates crashes everytime and ya basically sucks so Cydia ftw.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.