Why you should NOT make a repo

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Andy Huang, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I want to post this some where, but not sure where... and its really harsh and blunt, so I'm posting it in here first, and once ok'ed by most of you, I'll post it out side. Currently, I'm thinking the Official iPTF Repo section where Skylar is the boss, because every newbie posts their "help me with my repo" stuff there. So anyways, here goes...
    ===========================
    Repo's are good, they help people find what they want. But just because they're useful doesn't mean you should be starting your own repo. Here's a list of reasons why you should NOT start your own repo (in no particular order):
    1) Because you are poor. Yes, really, I'm harsh, blunt, and dead obvious. If you are not willing to pay for hosting, and end up on Google Pages or searching for free hosts, your repo will not survive long. Free hosts bandwidth runs out, and then it starts to throw errors. "Well, I'll just make multiple accounts to compensate for one of them being down!" No, that will just require people to add two, three, or upwards to eight of your crappy repo that have six or seven of them being down, casuing Installer to reload forever.

We've all seen what happened to iPTF's repo when it got popular. If you don't have the budget to throw at it, don't even think about starting one. Your free repo is just going to end up causing problem for everyone.

2) Because you have nothing to offer. Yes, really. If you are making a repo, and you need help with it, chances are, you don't even understand how XML works. If you don't understand how XML works, it is unlikely that you can make any programs that's worth anyone's time on the repo. Much like learning to walk first, then run, you should learn how to code, and code some good native apps first, instead of trying to make a repo with nothing useful on it.

3) Because no one cares about your theme. Yes, really. I can already hear those that are crying about they're making a repo to house themes. If you want to share your theme, we have a perfectly good forum which tells you how to share your themes (hint: here). You don't need your own repo for your theme. If your theme is good, I'm sure someone who knows their stuff will contact you to include your theme in the big repos. Or even contact community sources operators. That's what they're there for -- to operate a repo for the community.

4) Because stealing sucks. Just because you have nothing to offer, doesn't mean you're welcome to steal packages form other repo, rebrand them with a different name and bundle identifier, and slap it on your repo. Or even worse, steal other people's entire repo, and brand it off as your own. This goes back to 2, and 3; if you've got nothing worthwhile to offer, don't bother starting one. It'll just end up messing up everything.

Now, with all these said, if you still want to make a repo, go for it. Make sure it is worth while. Code some nice native apps, or create some very useful tools first, think about making a repo when you actually have something to offer. Then, learn to make a proper repo yourself. Documentation of how to make a repo is available on NullRiver's (Installer developer) website linked here: http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/ Additionally, Skylar has put together a GREAT documentation on that here in our own wiki: http://www.ifans.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_Source_Repository_for_use_with_Installer.app

If you still can't figure out how to make your own repo, then you are most likely not in need for a repo. Ask someone with a repo to host your things instead. And finally, be prepared to pay for hosting. If you are not willing to pay for hosting, then don't make a repo. Because your repo will just die as it get popular -- under the assumption that you have actually worth while stuff on there. If you cannot afford hosting, fall back to find someone who have proper repo to house your stuff again.

And most importantly.... For the love of god, repo is meant for sharing things, not so you can beg for donation. Don't slap together a crappy repo, and add a bunch of ads or donation buttons thinking you can make money from it. It's stupid, and for the most part, you won't get anything out of it. Quit wasting everyone's time, and bandwidth. Save yourself the time to learn something useful instead, too.
    ===========================
  2. DeusMachina

DeusMachina Retired Moderator

Uh... damn, to write all that you must really have a thing against repo's.... I skimmed over a bit of it and I have also noticed the tremendous amount of "help me plox" posts in the iptf Repo section. Close it down :O.
  3. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

You have some great points there. I think it would be fine to post it in the forums.
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Agreed, I don't see the point of a dozen different repositories (and the hundreds of "I can't make one!!11!" posts) that all have the same exact thing.
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Definantly, post it!
  6. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for support everyone.

As that area is technically Skylar's back yard, and the site is Bgizzle's, can I please get a yay or nay from either one of ya? Don't want to make everyone feel bad after posting it yeah?

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I am for this thread.

Honestly, I ignore the vast majority of threads in that forum that aren't related to the iPodTouchFans repo. One of these days, I'll clean it out, but then comes the logistics of where to move each thread. Don't be surprised though when you log in someday and that subforum is empty.

EDIT: If you move this to that section (and sticky it, of course), could you add in a link to the wiki article I wrote up describing how to make a source. I accidently spent a lot of time writing that up.
    http://www.ifans.com/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_Source_Repository_for_use_with_Installer.app
  8. Andy Huang

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol @ accidently spent a lot of time writing it up. I'll definetly link it.
    I'll copy and paste it into a new thread, so that people don't see us going "yay/nay/eh wtf you suck" etc.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. SkylarEC

Actually, I want people to see all of this. That way they know that the entire mod crew is in agreement, and it's not just some rant you posted.
  10. SkylarEC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.