Why won't my DVD rips work anymore?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Firespray, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Firespray

Firespray Banned

I've been using Handbrake to rip and convert my DVDs to the mp4 format. Lately all the movies I've converted keep giving me the "This movie cannot be played on this iPod" whenever I try to load it on to it. I don't think it's the DVD as I was in the process of converting all 3 Indiana Jones movies and only the first two worked while the third gives me the error.
  2. Pzimmerer51

Pzimmerer51 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    just use Videora iphone converter, ive never had a problem even. Oh and if you think its a prob with the rip play it before you convert it and after on ur comp
  3. Firespray

Firespray Banned

I can't convert it as it's already ripped and converted during the process in Handbrake.
  4. therealduckie

therealduckie Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    err...Videora is a PC app. Handbrake is a Mac app. He's asking for Mac solutions.

My solution would be to open the file on your Mac using Quicktime, then export it or re-save it as a mov or another format and try it again.

Also, check your YouTube app. If you cant play videos there or it gives you an error when you try to play one, restart/reboot (NOT RESTORE) your iPod and try opening a video file again.

This is an error I had once and that solved it. I would open the file and nothing would happen or I got an error in YouTube. Once I rebooted, it worked fine again.
  5. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Give iSquint a try. It's a great, free video converter for Mac. If that doesn't work, you could always import, then export with MPEG Streamclip, which is also free.

(Note that "iSquint" and "MPEG Streamclip" are both links)
  6. therealduckie

therealduckie Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I use VisualHub myself.

That's because I already have video files on my Mac. I got rid of the DVDs once I converted them. Ahh, the beauty of having 1.8tb of data space.

Anyway, VisualHub is another option if Quicktime doesn't work out for you.
  7. Firespray

Firespray Banned

No I have Handbrake for Windows, not Mac.
  8. therealduckie

therealduckie Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well shut my mouth and call me Shirley. I had no idea. Thought it was Mac only. Nice to know they expanded.

I switched far too many years ago to be any further help with Winblows. I wish you luck, though. I'd be curious to hear how you resolve the issue.
  9. Firespray

Firespray Banned

I might just try and find a good DVD ripper and then download Videora or something to convert the ripped file, still can't figure out what's wrong with Handbrake

Please Register or Log in to view images