Why We Have the New Rules

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Danls92, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Judging from the comments in the rules discussion thread, I think you guys are blowing this a bit out of proportion. Yes, the punishments are now stricter. However, the rules haven't really changed that much.

The reason for the bans instead of infractions where that an infraction did next to nothing unless you were productive enough to receive 3+ in 24 hours. The new system forces users to actually be accountable for what they've done.

Everybody also seems under the impression that by posting "I don't like that theme" they've guaranteed themselves a ban. This is completely ridiculous. We're not trying to take away freedom of speech here, we're just trying to cut down on flaming. Next time, instead of saying "This applications sucks and I hate you, go die" either:

a) Post something constructive
    b) Don't post anything at all

We're trying to promote a forum on which people are free to help others and share without worrying about being verbally abused.

Also, as for posting Off Topic things, this is to cut down on the spillover of off topic posts from the off-topic thread now that there is no post count. The Off Topic section will still be there and you can post whatever you want (within reason) there without the least fear of being banned. Also, we're not going to ban somebody for saying slightly deviating from the topic, once again it is for posts such as "I like llamas" in a thread about Pwnage. Our goal is to make the forums more efficient rather than cluttering it with hundreds of useless posts.

Finally, with the things such as Double Posting, it isn't an automatic ban. All of this is controlled by the moderators, and we'll evaluate it on a case-by-case basis. If it was a double post due to a forum glitch, or due to it being a long guide you won't be banned. If you're new here and double post, you'll be warned. This is more to stop chronic double posting, and those who bump their threads every 5 minutes.
  2. ThatOneKid

ThatOneKid New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I feel better now
    Knowing that I wont get banned for not liking a them
    I think this will either help alot
    Or completley go downhill
  3. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

I agree with most of your new rules...

but I'm really feeling discouraged about ever posting around here again, it's almost as if you're walking on egg shells...
  4. dwonder3

dwonder3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Me too. So you guys will not ban us if we say something like "I really dont like this app" or "This theme is horrible"?
  5. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Looking at your profile, you haven't gotten any infractions, so if you just continue how you were before, you'll be fine. All we really did with the system is replaced Infractions with bans.

No, those are opinions, we're not banning free thought. The best way I can think about it is, if you're criticizing the product (respectfully, not "this sucks -----") that's fine. However if you're criticizing the person, that's when it's an issue.
  6. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

But still Danls, I'm just trying to keep in mind what's best for ipodtouchfans, not what's best for me...

I just thought that with tighter security, then people will be discouraged to come here...

Just my opinion, because I know I'm definitely discouraged from coming here. And I can guarantee you I'm not the only user that feels this way
  7. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well, judging by your posting record, you don't have anything to worry about. In fact, 99.5% of our members have nothing to worry about. These rules just give us a better way to handle repeat offenders.
  8. AngelSynth

AngelSynth Banned

haha, the way you said "posting record" you sounded like my doctor regarding my "medical records"

Please Register or Log in to view images

But yeah, I like the ideas proposed in the "too much off topic thread", some of the ideas, especially those of Parm sounded really good...

I can't wait for the forum updates BGizzle, but until then, I think I'm just going to lay low...
  9. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    *thinking*... i got a lot of infractions already *o sh*t*
  10. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Previous infractions don't count. The slate was wiped clean with the new rules.