Why was my 1g running at a higher fps than my 3g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPhondTouch3G, Oct 25, 2009.

1. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    no seriously, normally my 3g usually runs games at 10-15 fps higher than my 1g, but today my 1g had a higher rate by 2-3 fps. fail. is it because of the virtual memory i modded my 1g with? i had 56 mb of ram free on my 1g and 148 on my 3g.
  2. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    how did you mod the RAM??
  3. SmoothTroopa

SmoothTroopa Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    what do you mean moded?
  4. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    incredible discovery but I'm not sure it's possible to do that to the likes of us =P
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Actually it is possible. He didn't really mod his RAM. All he did was create a swap file that may give you more virtual RAM, but will make your battery and iPod ultimately die faster.
  6. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    (the higher frame rate only occurred for like 10 sec., then my 3g was 10 fps higher.) my 1g is 1.8 years old, why not start killing it? i mean the home button got caved in 6 mos. ago. i want to kill it as fast as i can anyway. i gave my dad the 1g and he uses it a lot, but if it dies, he will have an excuse for getting a 4g when it comes out and i can take that and give him the 3g. (he doesn't know i used iphoneVM.)
  7. p282

p282 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    He added virtual memory "Virtual Memory, or VM, is exactly what it sounds like. Its virtual memory. Instead of using just the internal RAM, both of these methods create Swap Files on your Flash Drive (your iPhone "hard drive") and uses that file as extra RAM. To read more about VM, click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory)"

There are two versions, the Chinese version and the plist version, here is some more info
    "
    Which One is For Me / Whats the Difference Between the Two?
    That's your choice...
    The chinese version creates one large swap file ( 256MB ) and uses that space as needed.
    The .plist version creates a smaller swap file ( 64MB ) and creates / deletes the swap files as needed. Below is some info on the differences"

"
    What are the Risks?
    The risks that I and others see are that eventually both methods may cause your iPhone's Flash Memory to fail due to the excessive read/write. Below is some info that others have posted."

" Originally Posted by briviao View Post
    Wikipedia says that a NAND Flash memory can be overwritten more than 1.000.000 times (should be even more on new flash memories).
    Now the problem is to estimate the frequency of memory-overwriting on the iPhone. This is a tricky part!"
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    and as far as the extra fps, I'm not sure if its because you added more vm, but its likely.