Why upgrade? Doesn't make sense..

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by greystealth, Jan 17, 2008.

1. greystealth

greystealth New Member

Ok, i don't see the hype in getting 1.1.3. If you already have a jailbroken ipod then most likely you already have the apps that are 20$. Why would you want to upgrade and be limited to what you can do with your device?
  2. ollie77

ollie77 New Member

The main reason seems to be so they can start a thread asking how to downgrade...
  3. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

The three main positives i've seen include getting ready for the sdk, the upgraded springboard and safari functionality, and the updated maps app. Whether that's a convincing argument or not is an individual decision.
  4. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1.1.3 fixes many bugs, I would assume. And, the iTunes WiFi Store now allows you to redeem gift cards and see your account balance directly from the Touch.
  5. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Well, I finally got curious and updated my touch to 1.1.3 and bought the apps.

And I must say that this new firmware is much better than the previous two. There is no doubt about it. Everything just works more smoothly.

Another major reason for getting the update is that it allows you to put Rented Movies on the device.

However, I'll be downgrading tomorrow, simply so that I can once again use MobileScrobbler to submit played songs to Last.fm and to play personalized streaming radio. The rest of the apps I couldn't give a toss about. I have two pages of extra apps, but most of them have little use except for mild amusement and showing off, but to me this particular app almost doubles the value of the iPod touch.
  6. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Mobilescrobbler was one of the main things i thought about when choosing to keep the jailbreak or upgrade. If you'd like to have your cake and eat it too, there's a new iscrobbler out that will work with touches. The downside is it doesn't wirelessly transmit, it only uploads when you sync.
  7. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    MobileScrobbler is one app I will miss. But I'm sure it will be one of the apps we see using the official SDK in February.
  8. bunnyhero

bunnyhero New Member

the main 3rd party apps i use on my jailbroken 1.1.2 are the apple apps (mail, maps). and i occasionally play labyrinth. for me, i think it'll be worth losing those to get bug fixes, because man-oh-man do i ever get frustrated with some of the bugs in the iPoT. i just hope they fixed the bugs that bother me the most.
  9. pluto198

pluto198 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    iSolitaire was nice, I'll miss that until it makes the jump over to the SDK. NES was OK for Monopoly, Duck Hunt, and Tetris, but was frustrating for games where you had to press multiple buttons at once.
  10. dadedesigns

dadedesigns New Member

I am thinking on it, mostly because jailbreaking makes it sluggish, And there are only a handfull of apps out there that are worth it.