Why the new app store guidelines are seriously going to cramp your style

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Ethiopian, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Original document

So, after looking over the document apple released today, I found that these new guidelines aren't going to be as great as we might of thought. Original frontpage article. I was going to post this in the discussion thread, but I thought that this kind of thing could use a bit more exposure, considering how much it affects the app store. Plus, there's way more than I noticed on my first glance.

"If it sounds like we're control freaks, well, maybe it's because we're so committed to our users and making sure they have a quality experience with our products."

More like try and control every little aspect of how I use something that I bought with my money. These "guidelines" are 7 solid pages of "if you _____ your app will be rejected".

"small and large app icons should be similar, so as to not cause confusion"

Right, I'm gonna really start to lose it if my icons are different sizes.

"apps that do not adhere to the 4+ age rating will be rejected"

This is borderline total censorship. PG rated television hints sexual acts all the time. But hey, as long as that four year old doesn't see a picture of a gun, it'll all be worth it right?

"apps that use location-based apis for dispatch, fleet management, or emergency services will be rejected"

Great, so when my car blows up, I'll wander around for a little while to find the firemen or the policemen after I've been robbed. Of course, most people carry a cellphone, but a lot of times I don't. Thanks, once again, for looking out for me apple. Although I doubt I'd ever keep something like that on my ipod, if someone needs to find emergency services and this map thing was their last resort, it sure is a good idea to cut it out, right?

"apps that misspell apple product names will be rejected"

Whew, dodged a bullet on that one. I might get confused as to what I am using.

"apps that do not use the mediaplayer framework to access media in the music library will be rejected"

WHY? If a developer takes the time to make an app that can play my favorite tunes in the app while I do whatever it is they made, why should I have to go through the mess of using multitasking and backgrounding it, thus burning my ram in the process? Furthermore, older devices that don't have native multitasking (say mary loo who hasn't jailbroken her ipod or knows that native multitasking sucks) are being limited from a cool feature. Just because apple wants to...? I can't even finish that sentence.

"apps that look similar to apps bundled on the iphone will be rejected"

Wow! Thanks Apple! I have a windows live e-mail. Guess what doesn't support it? The default mail application. Guess what does? An app on the app store. Thanks for looking out for me and everything. I'll have such an easier mind knowing that I'm not using a mimic to your precious software. You know what really sucks though? I paid for that live mail app.

Please Register or Log in to view images

"apps that create alternate desktop / home screen environments or simulate multi-app widget experiences will be rejected"

So now you're cramping the style of those who haven't jailbroken their iDevices. Good thing the default theme is so breathtaking and magical

"Apple sets a high bar. If your user interface is complex or less than very good it may be rejected"

Wtf? Less than very good?

"applications that scrape any information from apple sites (for example apple.com, itunes store, app store, itunes connect, apple developer programs, etc) or create rankings using content from apple sites and services will be rejected"

Yeah, like nobody's ever googled "top iphone apps" before. What gives? Sure, it's somewhat useless because that info is already on the web, but if I read this right, I'm not allowed to make an app that says "angry birds is fun, don't spend money on soundboards". So that means only through the "official source" are people supposed to find recommendations on what to download. Sure, there's ratings or comments, but a 3rd party app that recommends, er, apps would be a neat little thing to have. Also, does this mean they'll be shutting down things like FreeAppADay or Pandabox because they list things that are in the app store? Way to drop the bomb apple. One of the big things people do is try and find cool iphone apps.

""enemies" within the context of a game cannot solely target a specific race, culture, a real government or corporation, or any other entity"

I think this is more no "kill the terrorists" apps (i'm not sure if any even exist), but i'm sure it won't be long before people call up with messages like this

"apps involving realistic depictions of weapons in such a way as to encourage illegal or reckless use will be rejected"

So, no more gun apps? Not that I ever really liked them, but still.

----
    While this approval process may weed out the stupid useless apps, and the malicious ones (what, like all 2 of them?), it seems to me that apple's taking one step forward and two steps back.
  2. Commander147

Commander147 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    First of all selam indemine!

I really don't think that the newly released provisions are going to do more damage. One of the most frustrating things about making apps is not knowing if they will be approved. Personally I had to redesign two apps to conform to standards that weren't really explicitly stated which are now included on the list. I think they are just disclosing the top reasons why they reject apps as well as just making their rules a little more clear for developers to save developers time and money.

The only new rule that surprised me is their app copy rule. While sure they want to maintain the integrity of quality apps, where do they exactly draw a line? It seems to me a company could partner with Apple. (AT&T) and become a monopoly on the AppStore, the idea of that kinda scares me. Similar to the Google Voice app rejection a while back due to unknown reasons...
  3. Ethiopian

Ethiopian New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, this is news to me. I didn't know apple even had an approval-based system (I guess it makes sense that there's some sort of foothold to it so people don't upload cracked apps and whatnot), but I just figured with all the incredibly useless and stupid apps (sex positions, fart generators, wallpapers, clocks) that a lot of stuff went unnoticed. I saw a segment on the news that there was a malicious app on the android market, and don't forget that someone hacked the app store a few weeks ago if I'm not mistaken.

Ah well, I was really saying was that a lot of the restrictions have shades of gray and some of them just makes you wonder what apple was thinking.

And another thing with the app copy rule could be a demise in the quality of apps. You would think it would be the other way around when devs do only original content, but some of the best things were made from competition. If Company A is the only one who can make tower-defense games, why should they waste the resources on making a great game when they can charge the same price for a crap one knowing people will buy it because it's the only TD game on the app store? Meanwhile if there's 30 other different TD companies, obviously company A will try and make the best one. It's like the base of all marketing. Competition = lower prices + better quality for the consumer.
  4. jordor07

jordor07 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    3.5, 3.6, 4.3 and 8.4 all make sense.
    9.1 your right
    10.2 doesnt make sense at all, however, Windows Live does work with the mail app.
    10.4 thats just the way apple is. Dont like it, go to android.
    10.6 is ok, but should be less than decent, not a minimum of "very good"
    12.1 your right
    15.3 makes sense, without it, there would be problems. "In this game the enimies are black, im suing apple!!!!!"
    15.4 gun apps suck anyway, too many of them
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    For one, the different size icons are 59x59 for the 1G/2G/3G, 72x72 for the iPad, and 114x114 for retina display devices.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    This serves no purpose other than to get rid of all the sh*te, and to try to set some form of standard for apps being submitted to the app store.

It's largely based on common sense: Put in effort, don't try to offend, and don't rock the boat. Apple isn't cramping your style, if anything they're opening up to more developers' styles.

I'd refute one by one, but there really is no need.
  7. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

Question: does this mean that apps on the AppStore that do not follow these guidelines will be removed?
  8. Commander147

Commander147 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Most like they won't get updates approved so they will effectively kill any app support developers might want to add...
  9. TXF001

TXF001 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What about Fruit Ninja and Veggie Samurai?

Yeah...