Why the Macbook Air uses a C2D, and not an Intel Core i3

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by _JKK_, Oct 24, 2010.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The author goes on to explain that the 11 inch model has a slower clockspeed than its 13 inch sibling simply to do heat dissipation.

Anyways, hit the read link for the whole article. It explains a lot in a manner that does make a lot of sense.
    [Arstechnica]
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yeah The GeForce 320M has around 2.5X the performance on the Intel HD Graphics found in the i3 chips.

But still a 1.4 GHz is kind of low for a $999 computer, no matter how thin it is. It wouldn't have cost Apple any more money to put a 1.7-1.8 GHz C2D in the base model and a 2.4-2.53 GHz chip in the high end one, since the manufacturing and selling prices from Intel are the exact same for each chip (Intel simply edits the clock speed in the BIOS and confuses customers into thinking that it's a whole new chip.)
  3. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    It's the same reason why they use a C2D in the white MacBook, but that MacBook is fat enough to use a dedicated GPU, so their excuse isn't valid.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I agree that it is a bit low, but most computers this size are actually more expensive. Seriously, go look at some of Sony's ULV. They have comparable build quality, but better specs, and a higher price to match them.

Also, I think people are forgetting that these new Macbook Airs use SSD (or something really similar to SSD), and that is a much faster technology than the standard hard drives.
  5. iPwn

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Oh yeah that's a good point. The SSD gives a major speed boost.