Why the iPod touch 3G is still worth upgrading to.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by _JKK_, Sep 12, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The iPod touch 3G was released on people who were sure there was a camera. I was one of them. So, when Steve Jobs showed the 3rd generation without a camera, many were mad (or furious, depending on who you are). Now, the fact that the iPod Nano gets the camera (and FM radio) only made this worse.

However, the iPod touch 3G is still an upgrade (though perhaps not as visibly as the 2nd generation was). I have just bought my iPod touch 3G from a local Best Buy, and I am impressed with it. The lack of a camera isn't a big deal to me, particularly if the camera was going to be the one on the iPod Nano. I would rather carry my Nikon D40 around (and get better images, to boot!) than the camera of the iPod Nano be included. This isn't a conclusion that I made in one day though. I was very disappointed, as was (and is, I assume) everyone else. But, its these things that made me realize that this iPod touch 3G is still the best device currently on the market (the Zune HD just got a golden chance, though).

• Chance of FM radio being added (perhaps in the 4.0 software update, but for a fee, of course)
    • The speed. It really is noticeable, and I can't imagine going back to my 1G iPod touch, or my brothers 2G. It really is a big deal.
    • 32GB. Coming from someone who bought an 8GB iPod touch 1G when the 32GB was 500$, its a nice deal.
    • Possibility of Wireless-N being added. Thats a bonus (though one I won't be using at present).

This thing is getting negative press, but I love it, and honestly, I'd say carrying a camera around JUST for better quality images is probably a smart thing in the long run. I'd recommend this to anyone who is looking to upgrade.

But I'm not too happy about the lack of a BUILT IN Mic, which would be useful for a LOT of people.
  2. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's also voice control + mic&remote earphones. Not necessarily a big feature, but nice nevertheless.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Exactly. There are revolutionary changes, but there are also evolutionary changes. This is evolutionary.
  4. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
  5. James11

James11 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah, I was also expecting some really big things out of the new iPod, but although this wasnt what i was expecting, it's still a pretty good update. I broke my iPod Touch 1st Gen, about a month ago, i cant wait for my 3G to get here.
  6. The Killswitch

The Killswitch Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I think as a 2G owner, it's not quite worth upgrading. I don't need quite that much space, and speed isn't too big of an issue. Unless someone wants to buy my 2G for around $250, I don't see myself going through the trouble =/
  7. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

People need to stop b*tching about the lack of the camera, as stated above every release doesn't have to out do the previous releases.

Look at the classic, thats just been getting slight storage bumps. It barely got 10 seconds in the keynote, but no one b*tches about that
  8. theLorax

theLorax Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    3G is a nice upgrade for 1g owners, a nice purchase for first time buyers, and a lukewarm update for 2g owners. That's just the way it is.
  9. micro_hard

micro_hard Active Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    For 2G owners I think its good for them because they won't have to complain that the 3G is better and they should've waited for 3G and crap like that.
  10. MegaDell

MegaDell New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Your post is crap alright.