Why not just go with an iPhone... it is cheaper

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UMDRunner, Sep 12, 2009.

1. UMDRunner

UMDRunner Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Why would someone want an ipod touch over an iPhone, they are so much more expensive. I understand that a lot of AT&T plans are pretty spendy for the iPhone, but could you buy an iPhone, and use it soley as an iPod touch.... don't get a phone plan, plus you would get a camera.... Would that work? Could you still connect via wi-fi?

Thanks!
  2. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    you could get an iphone without the plan, but like any other cellphone, it costs a lot more without the plan
  3. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    If you buy an iPhone, you have to get a Data Plan.

iPhone on ebay/craiglist cost 300$+
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The iPhone is that cheap because of network subsidisation. Without a contract, it cost ~$800.
  5. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    an 8gig iphone 3g, unlocked and jailbroken, ready for use as you mentioned, is selling on craigslist for around 300-350. its about the price that you'd pay for a 32 gig touch thats faster but has less features. it seems like a good deal to me and im prolly gonna meet some sellers and maybe buy one today.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. 12ook

12ook New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    im using my iphone like a phone/ipod. i dont have a data plan, i just use my wi-fi,and i have unlimited texting/calling.
  7. Hellishness

Hellishness Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ^thats what i wanna do too. where did you get yours? iphones are upwards of like 400 bucks online!...and i would preferably like a new one.
  8. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Since, i think, no one has answered your question yet, which if im correct is, can you buy an iphone and just use it as ipod, you can, but you have to buy it either off eBay, craigslist, or the ATT store. if you buy it off the store, the plan is to buy the phone for a month, then pay the cancelation fee (would be like.. 350-450, not sure though), and keep the phone, turn network off, and bam.
  9. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    And if I get an unlocked iPhone 3GS without getting a data plan (I live in Montreal/Canada BTW), but I also have phone contract with, let say Rogers or Koodo, and it doesn't include data.

1) Will it still try to connect to 3G even though I don't have a data plan?
    2) I will be able to use it as a phone with my Rogers contract without problem?
    3) It will be possible to just deactivate the 3G by going into the settings (like I read somewhere)?
    3.1) Will I have to Jailbreak it for it (I once heard you had to JB before being able to deactivate the 3G)?
  10. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Unlocked iphone+t-mobile $10 dollar unlimited data plan+$10 1000 text plan= perfect if you already have a contract on t-mobile....

This is what I want to do, as my parents already have a cheap t-mobile plan, and I have a line...