Why non-original iPod USB cables will not work with SOME 2nd generation iPod touches

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Applefan0213, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Applefan0213

Applefan0213 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hello people at iPod touch fans forum,

I don't know if this has been discovered in the past yet (I'm pretty sure it has in this forum because of the high amount of iPod touch stuff going on here, and I don't think I found anything similar on the forum search) but I'll just post what I found.

I was curious one day why my 8GB 2nd generation iPod touch wouldn't work with the non-original 3rd party iPod USB cables that I had, while my brother's 16GB 2nd generation iPod touch would work with them fine with no issues, being able to charge from a charger and charge/sync on a computer with these non-original 3rd party iPod USB cables, while mine couldn't. My 8GB 2nd generation iPod touch would only work with the original Apple iPod USB cables I had, while my brother's 16GB 2nd generation iPod touch could work with both original and non-original cables.

I took a close look at the dock connector pins on the original and non-original cables, and a close look at the internal dock connector in both iPod touches. I thought I saw that the pins in my 8GB 2nd gen iPod touch were just slightly thinner compared to the pins in my brother's 16GB 2nd gen iPod touch, so I took a picture of both to compare. I took a close look at the pins in the cables, and taking a picture of them I saw that the pins in original Apple cable were slightly thinner compared to the non-original cable, just like in the two iPod touches I had.

Here are the pictures I made up to explain what I saw:

Please Register or Log in to view images

I think the wider pins in the non-original cables would not be able to make a connection to the thinner pins in my 8GB 2nd generation iPod touch while the thinner pins on the original Apple cables would be able to connect to the pins in my 8GB 2nd generation iPod touch, which I guess would be a good hypothesis to my problem.
  2. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This is not new.
    Older docks will not change the 2G iPods either.
    I think the new nano and maybe even the newest classic have this new female slot that is, for now, more limited than the older one.
  3. Applefan0213

Applefan0213 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes the female slots in the iPods appear to be somewhat different than the older slots.

Since an old original Apple iPod USB cable that came with a 2nd generation iPod nano also worked with my 8GB 2nd generation iPod touch, it looks like Apple did this to prevent use of some non-original cables with their new iPods.
  4. Matt-09

Matt-09 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How can a cable work with a 16GB 2nd gen Touch, but not a 8GB 2nd gen Touch? They're exactly the same model!

5. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It must be a mistake, I think its a 16GB 1G and a 8GB 2G..
  6. Applefan0213

Applefan0213 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The 16GB iPod touch I tested is definitely the 2nd generation (2G) model, it has the internal speaker, the volume buttons on the side, and the redesigned curved stainless steel back. It uses the 2.2.1 firmware and it says "5H11a" in the firmware version.

I know what the 1st generation iPod touch is, it has no internal speaker and does not have the volume buttons, and the back is just the plain shape like the previous iPods. A 1G iPod touch running 2.2.1 firmware would say "5H11" in the firmware version, while this 16GB iPod touch I tested has "5H11a".

I might make a video later showing the 16GB 2G iPod touch I tested being able to use the non-original cable while my 8GB 2G iPod touch can't.