why jailbreak? what gains?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by arfa, Mar 27, 2010.

1. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OK, so my iTouch is very new - as is my understanding of its system. A glossary (somewhere on this site) gave me:
    I guess my initial thought was along the lines of unlocking a phone - you weren't bound to a specific carrier. With a phone SIMs were the variable, with the ipod apps. _____ YES?

The first thing that struck me on starting to use my new iTouch was the forced interaction with the iTunes site. Reading seemed to suggest that jailbreaking would fix this _____ YES? NO?

Any 'in a couple of sentences' explanations of the main advantages of jailbreaking?

Thanks for bearing with me

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. shoosy

shoosy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    for your first question you can unlock your iPhone to work with different carriers by installing software to do so

second question itunes is probably the best way to interact with you ipod/iphone but by installing open ssh you can ssh into your idevice and locate and move music like a external hdd

the main advantage to jailbreaking is that you aren't under the restrictions apple have put in place you can install apps that do almost anything like mxtube which is a replacement app for the youtube one were you can download the videos
  3. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jailbreaking has many advantages such as being able to run apps in the background and getting apps rejected from the app store for some silly reason. One example of this is Grooveshark, they made an iPhone app and apple rejected it, so they submitted it for the jailbreaking community.

People say that a disadvantage of jailbreaking is having a "bricked" iPhone or iPt if it doesn't work right. But this is impossible as you can easily restore everything the way it was using iTunes. So really, no disadvantages.

Hope this helped,
    fikelfikel
  4. arfa

arfa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey, big thanks for the info. I am reaaaaally new to ipod. I haven't installed even one app yet - dont even have an itunes account.

@shooshy
    Hmmmm, another new realm.

Really what I (think) I am after is the ability to work off-line. I don't mind paying for apps but, if possible, want to have apps on my HD and install from there. Upload/sync non-media files (txt, htm, pdf) from my HD.

@fikelfikel
    On the odd chance my jailbreak craps out am I correct thinking that a restore would upgrade me to 3.1.3? It was suggested elsewhere. Yeah, being free of Apples grip seems democratically desirable!!!!!!!

big thanks <_>
  5. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I your jailbreak doesnt work and your stuck in whats called "DFU" mode, you'll have to upgrade to 3.1.3, that means that there's no way back to 3.1.2. Geohot will be releasing a new jailbreak for all devices soon, check out the vid in my signature.

Hope this helps!
    fikelfikel
  6. mia

mia New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey arfa
    another thing to think about is if something goes wrong with it, I jailbroke my touch and was really pleased with the results. Before reading all the warnings I updated to 3.1.3 and lost the ability to jailbreak, four days later my touch completely died. It was a major fault and apple sent me a new one,they told me at the shop if apple could detect a jailbreak they would have sent the broken device back untouched.
    Not sure I will jailbreak when they release one, at the price they are not sure it's really worth the risk because sh*t does happen.
  7. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yes, but you should have really read up on it first. That way nothing bad would have happened

And besides, couldn't you have just clicked restore when everything went haywire?
  8. mia

mia New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Couldn't restore a dead ipod. Like a vet giving a pork chop the kiss of life.
  9. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I said that because people say that they have "bricked" their iPod, when it's not. I getcha now though, you mean dead, as in not being recognized by the computer or iTunes and not being able to charge.
  10. DWY

DWY Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ill be the sour apple of the group, one disadvantage is, is tthat jailbreaking can slow down ur iphone/ipt depending on how many daemons u install. running apps in the back ground with backgrounder is a good example BUT, its sooooooooooo worth it. u really only notice it in things like games.