Why is my Wi-fi s slow?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sp4rkbr, Feb 1, 2008.

1. sp4rkbr

sp4rkbr Member

I can't get it. I bought this Dlink router (DI-524) last week, I couldn't make it work at the beginning then some people at this forum helped me to fix it (the DNS was wrong on the iPod). Since then, it works, I mean, I can browse sites... and I notice it is slight slower then computer (even being right in front of the router).
    But I noticed it get extremely slow when I want to install things through installer. I re-jailbroke my iPod so I'm downloading BSD Subsystem again and it is talking forever to download it (its only 6mb and my internet is 1mbit, shouldn't take that long).

So yea guys, any of you could guess what's wrong here? Thx
  2. jelleke60

jelleke60 New Member

I have exactly the same problem...
  3. illtemper

illtemper New Member

4. FluxBox

FluxBox New Member

I'm pretty sure that the iPod touch doesn't have the greatest wireless card in the world. Your computer is using a card built for COMPUTERS. Your iPod is using a card built for an IPOD.

Which is obviously going to require more power?

If you can't answer it, it's the computer's card.

It's not an issue with your iPod, its an issue with the wireless card built into the iPod.
  5. illtemper

illtemper New Member

The internet on my ipod has been fantastic until around a week ago, now it just crawls along. My pda, laptop, pc's have no problems either, Im beggining to beleive tht the wifi has become faulty in the ipod.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Downloading will only go as fast as your connection or the site you are downloading from, whichever is slower. If it's going slowly it's quite possible the site you're downloading from is either slow, or is experiencing a high traffic load. BSD subsystem is often pretty slow to download at the best of times, and with a 1Mbit connection, even at max speed it would take just under a minute to transfer.

Also, browsing on the Touch is certainly going to be slower than the desktop. Mobile Safari can only render pages so quickly on a 400MHz processor.
  7. trialnterror

trialnterror New Member

you need comcast broadband man
  8. ucflow

ucflow New Member

It definitely has to do with certain sources you have installed. If you get rid of sources you don't use, I'm sure things will get speedier. If you notice the lull especially on the "refreshing sources" bar, then this is definitely the problem
  9. sp4rkbr

sp4rkbr Member

Well idk, it has been good lately, I think it was an issue with my internet or the sourcer's server. I must say it's not as fast as on computer, but i think it's normal, just like Mindfield said.
  10. trigg3r

trigg3r New Member

It' really the ipod wifi adapter. For web browsing the ipod wifi adpater may use more "juice" cause it's almost like in my pc.

The difference i's clear when you load a video on your ipot's youtube and opening youtube in your pc.