Why is everyone thinking there is going to be a price drop???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by flashcus, Sep 2, 2008.

1. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Why is everyone thinking there is going to be a price drop on new touch???

[rant]No there isn't.

People's main argument: The iphone got one...Did it? Technically, no it didn't as the total contract with data came to more than the original iphone.

I also have more evidence. o2 have released that their pay as you go iphone will be 349 and 399 GBP for 8 and 16gb respectively. Because there's no conract, the entire phone has to be paid for in the price. It does include £120 worth of data transfer though. 349-120 = 229 subtract a little more as there's less hardware and i reckon prices again will start at 199 GBP for 8gb. If it was something like 100, apple wouldn't make as much money, and i think we all know that that is what apple revolves around.

I'm sick of people saying "Isn't there going to be a price drop for new ipod touch like for iphone 3g?" For the last time, NO![/rant]

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just thought i'd express my opinion...
  2. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    True, true.
  3. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That is true, you can also think of it from another perspective.

The iphones/ipod touches all sell very very well, so dropping the price wont increase sales by much, but it will severely decrease their profit margin. So Apple have nothing to gain by dropping the price, only something to lose if they do. Thats just my point of view

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Alpha911

Alpha911 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    There will be a prize drop, cause otherwise if the new ipod comes, nobody will buy the old 1.
  5. *Soul~Of~iTouch*

*Soul~Of~iTouch* New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. flashcus

flashcus New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I meant for the NEW ipod touch
  7. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

I completely agree. I doubt the iPod is going to get a huge price drop, i say maybe £50 on the 16gb so it's about £200 rrp and a little less on the 32gb too.

If you think about it logically the iphone 3g WITHOUT contract is only £350, that's including phone functionality and 3g acess, but that's for an 8gb phone so it sorta balances out.
  8. sportfan6197

sportfan6197 New Member

first of all the new ipod touch is likely to get only small cosmetic changes. if the prices remain the same the new touch wouldn't nearly make enough sales as the first ipod would.

also they are thinking of adding the 64gb touch and dropping the 8gb. if they do that no one would spend $500 on a ipod, unless they add a gps, or camera, or bluetooth.
  9. Siforest65

Siforest65 New Member

I used to work in electronics manufacturing (mobile phones). As soon as a new product was launched they worked on a "cost reduced" model. The whole design was looked at and any niggly manufacturing faults and design faults were eliminated. Any high cost devices were driven down in price (usually at no cost to quality).

What you see at the end of it is similar functionality but cheaper to produce (usually less in-house failures which cripple a high volume production line).

Just my thought, but maybe this is what Apple will do?