Why is apple not giving a us a good msoffice-like option for our devices?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by fedekun, Nov 7, 2008.

1. fedekun

fedekun New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well maybe this was discussed in previous threads, but I think that a couple of years have passed since the launch of the first iphone and ipod touch, and as the iphone has always been sold as an "executive line" cell phone, there's the fact that the notes application was a clearly poor option, if you wanted to use your device to write some serious stuf on a txt alike file.

As I was saying some years have passed since the launch of this devices and as we all know, there are no solid options for viewing or editing .doc .xls. or .ppt files on our iphones or itouchs. There are a few apps for .xls creation and editing like "spreadsheet" (I guess that was the name) but it's still to annoying to use them because of the lousy way to access or save those files. It looks like every developer is trying to make better apps for this uses but there are still too far from being something that one could say "I'll beam this .doc to my iphone to edit it later"... the best option yet is to save it to google docs and then open them online on your iphone, but what if you are in the middle of nowhere and you just have to finish something that let's suppose, you have a laptop with you and also you have your iphone? It would be nice to open up those documents on the go on the iphone to work on them for a minute and then just keep on the move...

But hell no, maybe itunes could have an option to sync .doc .xls or .ppt files, maybe apple could use open office or sign a contract with microsoft or SOMETHING to solve this crap, but as I was saying, heeeeell no! In Wall Street there's a multimillionare bussinesman checking out the stocks market on his iphone... but wait he has a stock application for that and not a single guaranted and well integrated .xls app? YOU'RE KIDDING ME, JOBS!

Ps: sorry for my english, is not my main language

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Go buy a Blackberry
  3. Teddyx

Teddyx New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Completely agree.
  4. fedekun

fedekun New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well that's not the kind of answer I was hoping to get... Maybe your so closed-minded that you can't figure out the potential of the iphone? It could easly support text editing with great features... "Go buy a blackberry" is quite a dumb answer...

What I can see from this is that is not that the iphone can't support this kind of apps because of a hardware limitation, it's only the fact that apple wont give us this kind of things, wasting a great oportunity... and also, generating this kind of answers from obsessed fans.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Actually, its quite a smart answer. The iPhone is still not yet ready for the mainstream business types. If you really want to edit text documents. Get something with a physical Keyboard. Like the Android or Blackberry platforms. I mean really. The iPhone is mainly for light business types who want to manage their stock quotes and like social business types (Social Networking). Sure the iPhone has a lot of potential, but its still a work in progress.

The iPhone can read all the noted formats. But it can't write/edit them. Yet. Just give them some time. After all, it IS a MICROSOFT format. Just because it works on Mac OS X itself, doesn't mean it'll work on the iPhone OS even though they're related in some ways.
  6. ubunix

ubunix Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You realize that the productitvity level would be like 10%. Think how hard it would be to use PowerPoint or Publisher on your ipod; WordPad maybe.
  7. iPhoneFTW

iPhoneFTW New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    This I can see taking some time, maybe in the next iPhone. Microsoft vs Apple things usually take a while
  8. fedekun

fedekun New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Teslanaut & ubunix, thanks for your fair answers, that was the kind of discussion I like to read.

Indeed it's not, but it's quite sad to have a 400 bucks phone that can't read .doc or .xls files, even if you take a look at other great apps found in the appstore, it's hard to believe that there's no editor or at least, decent viewer/sync app for this files. I admit the iphone is a GREAT device and I don't wanna go for a blackberry, I love my iphone and also my old Itouch, I'll stick to them anyway

But I still think there are some things, like .doc or .xls viewing (at least) and also java and flash stuff that it is time to have on our iphones and itouchs. And also I know that the best reason not to have this is because of the stupid way that apple is handling things. I mean, of course that a .doc editor wouldnt be as complete as a pc or mac version, but hey, at least the simple NOTES editor with a B I S and export to format option, is that to much to ask? Maybe apple should upgrade JUST a little this app.
  9. jchaike

jchaike Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you CAN read .doc and .xls files.
    you can open up doc and xls from emails and safari.

lawls @ Itouch
  10. fedekun

fedekun New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I know that, but if you are not connected to the internet it's worthless... I meant it would be useful if there would be an option to sincronize this kind of files to the iphone or itouch directly from itunes and then there would be no need to be connected to internet...

Don't you agree it would be useful? And also, the so much needed copy/paste feature with a little few options for the notes app... it would be GREAT.