Why is apple against it so much?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by padsquad43, Jan 18, 2008.

1. padsquad43

padsquad43 New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

why is their main goal to not let ipods/iphones be jail broken?
    I can maybe udnerstand iphone: they only want it with AT&T
    but why else?
  2. sp4rkbr

sp4rkbr Member

probably because they will start selling applications (as seen on 1.1.3)
  3. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

I think there reasons are two-fold:
    1. security/integrity of ipod
    2. money

There are probably others, but I think those are the main reasons
  4. toehead

toehead New Member

I agree. They are probably especially concerned over the security of the iphone, because of the potential for a malicious virus causing chaos, which apple would have to clean up.
  5. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

If they were against it they would not release an SDK. They are for it, but they want to control it for the security & stability of there product. If you have tryed the Hacks & tryed the $20 download you will see there benefits.

1. The hack is much larger in size (calculating only the iPod Apps installed)
    2. Battery life with the hack is crap. (because the app is constant on the ARM CPU)

3. the purchase app's are only 8Kb
    4. They shutdown when closed (only mail has a small beacon to keep mail incoming)
  6. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

is this a serious question? think of it this way, this is an example

you create video games, all of them suck dick, noone plays them, and youre not sucessful. somehow you make a breakthrough and make a video game thats a major hit...everyone loves it and everyone plays it. but then, hackers come in and ruin the game for a lot of people, making people stop playing the game...you loose money, and you want your players back so you want to patch the hacks....and then its a cycle

theyre out there to make money dude...were not even supposed to jailbreak ipods..its against their warranty
  7. toehead

toehead New Member

Well,

It has been proven that the new firmware already contains the new apps. You are just paying for a license file that activates them. The new firmware file is much larger then the previous versions.

If you are worried about battery life, hold the home button for 5 seconds and it will quit.
  8. demetry14

demetry14 New Member

I am not worried about battery life as my iTouch 1.1.3 is hacked, I am just worried that all of th crap left behind will never get removed. So sooner or later you won't be able to store music & video because the iPod will be filled with back programming practice (left behind files.)
  9. toehead

toehead New Member

Only if you don't know your way around a unix machine.
  10. ayuzer

ayuzer New Member

No, when you fork over your 20$, your not paying for the apps, the apps are already installed along with the new 1.1.3 firmware, but their locked and hidden.
    Paying the money give you the unlock file, code, etc that will enable the iphone apps.

Also regarding to "they shut down when closed", most 3rd party apps do too.. you can check this by using the sysinfo.app and see the process's running on your ipod.

The reason why battery life is crap with 3rd paty app is that most of them require the screen to be on while in use, the backlight is a major battery drainer. This is true for other backlit required apps like safari and movies, thats the ipod only lasts around 6 hours while using them. Also, the wifi consumes a lot of batter life too, even if your not connecting to the internet.

Other reasons why battery life is short with 3rd party apps is that their not optimized for the ipod, such as the emulators which constantly hogs the ipod's cpu.
    another reason would be 3rd paty apps require alot of interactivity (aka touching) so for your ipod to respond to all your commands, this drains the battery life

---------------------------------------------
    so in conclusion, official apps will probably be more optimized for the ipod, but even they will drain alot of battery.