Why i think they changed the dock for 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gottabeandrew, Feb 5, 2008.

1. gottabeandrew

gottabeandrew New Member

I've not seen it mentioned before so i thought i would say this and see if anybody agrees with me - i think they KNOW that the 1.1.2 dock is better and nicer and more modern than the 1.1.3 one but the reason that they changed it was because the reflections on the dock probably had problems with the bookmark desktop icons or with some of the apps being in the dock or they decided to do it in advance because once the SDK is released people will have problems with reflections then. I noticed that my iPhysics app doesn't have a reflection but i don't know whether this is because they didn't make one to go with it or because there's 5 apps in the dock.
  2. gottabeandrew

gottabeandrew New Member

So do people agree or not then?
  3. Wuz Ranger

Wuz Ranger New Member

I'm not sure why they changed it. I think the 1.1.3 doc is ugly mself.

Not sure if we will ever hear the true reasoning behind it either.
  4. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

WTF is wrong with Apple? Why don't they let us change the looks of the dock, wallpaper on the main page, etc..

It's not a "security" threat in any ways.
  5. gottabeandrew

gottabeandrew New Member

They probably will when the SDK comes out. Maybe they'll release settings to do that and charge money for it.
  6. Blooper4912

Blooper4912 Member

I believe they changed it so that the firmwares for the iPod Touch and iPhone are closer alike. Only having to design one firmware for two devices is a whole lot easier than designing one for each.
  7. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

So why did they change it in the first place.
  8. psh jamason

psh jamason New Member

If you're using the default iPhysics icon, it's weird for some reason. Whenever I would pull out the dock app from the bottom right sunburst, it would be closer to the right than any other app's icon.

My theory is that the reflections would have caused problems with the icon wiggle. Every icon is capable of being reflected, from what I understand Springboard creates an upside-down replica of any given icon, then applies the reflection mask to it.

When moving an icon, it gets bigger and semi-transparent. That particular animation probably also created problems with the reflections, ie when an icon was being pulled in or out of the dock.
  9. Mike3300

Mike3300 New Member

I personally like the 1.1.3 dock, 1.1.2 or older is fine with me as well. It makes the iPod has the iPhone feel.
  10. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

Im gonna go with this.