Why I think Charging for Firmware Updates is Wrong

Discussion in 'iPhone OS 3.0 - March 17th 2009 Preview Event' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Before you flame me, hear me out. Since I have sold my 1G Touch (and haven't gotten around to buying the 2G yet), I have no touch or iPhone at the time, so this is completely unbiased.

I just think apple charging for firmware updates is wrong, touch firmware updates should be free just like the iPhone. I understand that touch users don't pay monthly fees and such for their device, but that's because they don't need to pay for things such as data plans, and apple doesn't even provide data plans or a data network, the cellular phone companies do, so why is apple giving them a free update and not touch users?

Why exactly do I think it's wrong? Basically because the firmware updates all include things that should have been with the device to begin with, so why are they charging you more to add in things they should have put in in the beginning?

For example, them charging for firmware updates is essentially the exact same as this situation:

I open up a lemonade stand, you come up to me, I charge you $5 for a cup of lemonade, but I just give you an empty cup. One week later I come up to you with a pitcher of lemonade and say I'll put the lemonade in that cup, that should have been in there to begin with, if you pay me another $3.

Just think about it we have to pay them more money, because they make mistakes and don't include what they should have to begin with.

EDIT: FOR THOSE OF YOU SAYING YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR:
  2. president-911

president-911 Banned

I couldn't agree more.
  3. AmazingNachos

AmazingNachos Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    exactly.

and ipt 2gs are the same as iphones in terms of $$$
  4. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Who cares you can always get them free anyway.
  5. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Not saying I agree with you, but good analogy!
  6. CaptainPWN

CaptainPWN Banned

Um, no. YOU bought the iPod touch knowing what features were included. Apple is implementing new features, which takes time, resources, and money. Who are they going to pass the costs onto? YOU.
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You got what you paid for.
  8. Callapidae

Callapidae New Member

I agree, charging for updates suck, but to use your analogy, you paid for that cup knowing full well what it did when you bought it. Its not like you thought you were buying lemonade and a cup and only got a cup.
  9. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    New features that should have already been there in the first place.
  10. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.