Why I reversed my jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by koyote1978, Jan 5, 2009.

1. koyote1978

koyote1978 New Member

Here's my little ipod touch story
    - got caught up the hype a year ago and had to have it (really strange feeling thinking back now)
    - started to wish back for my ipod video (more space and easier to use because I don't have to see it to pause etc.)
    - was afraid to jailbreak because I feared for the warranty (stupid - I know)
    - fell in love all over after the App Store

- decided to jailbreak to see what else is out there
    - tried a few jailbroken apps, but I never got them to work the way I wished (vlc4iphone, offlinemaps)
    - I found the manuals and documentation for these apps were non existing or too complicated for my experience
    - Apps are difficult to navigate, It's hard for a newbie to figure out what the app does and why to install it
    - thought that the ipod touch was getting slower so I reversed the jailbreak.

Now I am stuck with what the app store has to offer and I am hoping that somebody picks up the ideas from Cydia and Apple allows them into the store, especially:

1. accessing routes and maps offline
    2. divx/ xvid videoplayer

anybody else reverse their jailbreak. What was your reason?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe maps can be cached somehow?

Are you seriously thinking that Apple, who supports and pushes h.264 MP4, would support DivX/xvid?

For me, it became a gimmick. Got in the way of what I really used my device for. Watching video, listening to audio. Themes, tweaks, none I needed at all.
  3. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm jailbroken, but I've only got winterboard and sbsettings installed. I don't have any other jailbroken apps/games.
  4. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I only jailbreak for themes, tweaks, emulators, Quake 3, etc.
    But I prefer my devices to be hacked; it's more fun.
  5. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Reasons I jailbreak:

Bluesn0w
    Yellowsn0w
    Theming
    SBSettings (good to quickly turn 3G/EDGE off)
    VoIP Hack (fools the app to think its on wifi when its actaully on 3G)
    Stacks
    Quicker backup than iTunes (My clever way)

and a bunch of other stuff, but in plain basic it allows it to look cool and is more productive for me
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Reasons I jailbreak.

Yellowsnow. I could always go back to my universal-sim. its updated for 2.28.0

winterboard. Themes and all that good stuff

iRealSMS. Landscape texting and a whole mess of features the stock text.app doesn't have.

swirlyMMS. sending picture texts, video and what ever else you want to attach and send via text.

Sbsettings. A whole mess of features I couldn't live without. Process manger, toggles for wifi, edge, brightness. Fast notes. All accessible from just about any app you in!

Quickgold. Another app I cant live without. Tap the home button and search for anything from apps to contacts to urls, tap it and it opens the app, calls the contact or opens the url in safari. Very quick and handy app.

Emulators. Im a big fan of old school games so this is a must. I play them more then appstore games.

Other ported games like doom, quake. That will never be in the appstore ever!

Terminal & mobilefinder. I like to mess around and see how things work and tweak things how I like them.

vwallpaper/vringtones. Video wallpaper. Video ringtones! A toy really but fun!

Soon to be blue snow. wireless headphones! Need I say more? Ok sharing pictures and files via bluetooth to any phone or computer with bluetooth.

Oh yea Widgets! widgets for anything and everything. all customizable and can be placed anywhere you want, lockscreen, homescreen, any size color what ever! RSS feeds on your lock screen, weather displayed on your lockscreen/homescreen. Texts missed calls. anything and everything you want quick access to.

You had a problem with two apps and gave up on jailbreaking all together.... Ah well to each his own...
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    for me, jailbreaking was simply a learning experience. I learnt loads about the ipod and technology in general. While also discovering SSH and all those other tweaks.
  8. koyote1978

koyote1978 New Member

I'm just hoping that maybe through the app store... someday...

I'm not going to bet any money on it though.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Should I note that mPlayer plays DIVX files, at this point, is now available on Firmware 2.2? You don't have to go back to ancient technology to play it anymore. And seriously, anyone who says that the interface on Firmware 2.x based applications is 'too tough to navigate' really has some issues, since one of the MAIN criterion Apple accepts (or rejects) applications is that they stick to the same interface style and general logic/ergonomics as any other Apple-created iPod application.
  10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It was the best way for me to ever learn as much as I now know about computers, by fooling around with and improving something that I was interested it.