Why I haven't broken yet.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by dave the wave, Dec 30, 2008.

1. dave the wave

dave the wave New Member

So I got my 16gig IPT on Christmas and that night pluged it in to charge was promted to upgrade and tried to do so and in the end got a 1604 error message. My IPT was stuck in recovery mode. Several attempts to restore all resulted in a 1604 error.

Next day I took it to my Brother in laws house and put it on his lap top and was able to recover but due to the Apple servers being log jammed couldn't upgrade to 2.2, waited a couple days. Just for sh*ts and giggles I though i'd try again on my comp. Removed iTunes and reinstalled and tried to download 2.2. 1604 error. Stuck in recovery mode.

Went back to my bro in laws, threw it back on his laptop and viola! 2.2 downloaded. Sat up late at night messing with videos, stanza, games etc... (love the crap out of this thing) and pondered the jailbreak thinking that themes and offline maps would be real cool. But the thought of a bad install and having to recover..... again! and driving to my bro in laws again! has kind of taken the wind out of my sails. research on the net regarding the 1604 error has gleaned me little info. The only thing I think I can try is to remove the other USB connections (wireless keyboard) and see if that has any thing to do with it.

Anyone else had cronic problems with the 1604 error recently, and will this dreaded 1604 error on iTunes have any bearing on jailbreaking?

Thanks
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    As a double check, which generation of iPod touch is this?
    The new one (rounded back, speakers, volume control) cannot be jailbroken (yet?).
  3. dave the wave

dave the wave New Member

It is a 1st gen.
  4. ipodmanfan

ipodmanfan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hi davethewave did you disable your antivirus when you tried to restore on your pc, I had the same error message a few months ago and I took my i pods to a friends computer and walla done. Got home and read somewhere on this forum to disable my anti virus tried another restore and it worked.
  5. dave the wave

dave the wave New Member

Man I didn't even think of that (over looks the obvious) defenitely need to try that. Thanks man.