Why I don't like the New MacBook Air.

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by jmwerkus, Oct 22, 2010.

1. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Apple recently announced a new MacBook Air at their back to the Mac event. Here are the reasons I don’t like it.

1. No Disc Drive
    -While most media and software is available over the internet, Sometimes there is a need to rip a DVD, burn a CD, or other things like that, So I like having the ability to do those things when necessary. Yes, I do realize that you can purchase a drive separately, But I still find this unacceptable.

2. Specs are horrible for the Price
    -Yes, I realize that this is Apple we are talking about, and that their products are typically more expensive than other companies products, So I will just be comparing this with other Apple Products. So, $999 for an 11″ Macbook Air with 64GB Flash memory, a 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, and 2GB RAM. It just happens that $999 is also the price of another Mac, the White MacBook. The 13″ White MacBook features a 250GB Hard Drive, a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, and 2GB RAM. The MacBook is obviously the better deal for the money.

3. Battery Life
    -The 11″ MacBook Air has a battery that will last for 5 hours of “wireless productivity” and as Steve Jobs said, “The new battery tests are more realistic.” However, the the 13″ White MacBook Battery has 10 hours of “wireless productivity” without the “more realistic battery tests” 5 hours is a VERY big difference, even if one has a “more realistic test”.

4. Lack of Ports
    -The MacBook Air has USB 2.0 (x2), MagSafe Power Adapter, Mini Display Port, and a Headphone Jack
    -The White Macbook has USB 2.0 (x2), MagSafe Power Adapter, Ethernet, Mini Display Port, Audio In/Out (Headphone Jack) and a “Kensington Lock Slot”. The Main Port that the White MacBook has that the Air doesn’t is the ethernet port, which is very needed by some people with no Wi-Fi.

The reasons it will still sell.
    1. Netbook?
    -It will be considered Apple’s entry to the netbook category. Many people feel a need to have a smaller laptop in addition to a desktop, So this will be bought as it is in a way Apple’s entry to that.
    2. It is Apple.
    -Apple is becoming so popular that many people will buy an Apple Product just because it is made by Apple.
    3. Design
    -This Macbook is beautifully designed. I don’t know if Apple could have done much better on the Design.

Overall, I feel like this could be a great Macbook, if the specs were not so bad, and it was not so overpriced.
  2. ElectroBeijing

ElectroBeijing Well-Known Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Thats netbook specs right there
  3. i.think.different

i.think.different Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oh well, I'm going to pick mine up right now.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, the Macbook Air never had a disc drive, so that shouldn't be a reason why you hate the new one. Like I said in another thread, you don't buy a Macbook Air for its specs, you buy it because it's lightweight, thin and portable. If the Macbook Air doesn't satisfy your (or anyone's) needs, then go for another laptop.
  5. Peebs

Peebs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I agree about the specs stuff, but geez Apple's products are cool and that's the reason i like them, i don't care about the price, within reason.
  6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I realize that, I'm writing this comparing the two laptops, and showing what you get for your money.
  7. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    1. It's a netbook
    2. It's Apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. It's to thin to have more battery life
    4. Too thin.
  8. Peebs

Peebs New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Agreed, you are correct in everything you say.
  9. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    To me, they're trying to fill a niche that's not really there, but still filling it in an awesome way.
  10. TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge Active Member

It's a netbook, £550 over the average price. With worse specs. When you can pick up a netbook for around £200/£250 with some near 120gb HDD/SDD.