Why I believe the iPad sucks.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Led, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Led

Led Banned

Originally posted on Twitter, I was urged to post it on this site (which i didn't know existed). So:

Why I think the iPad sucks.

It's mainly an issue of an identity crisis to me. It's too big to be a true portable device (like the iPod touch, which i love), but it's too limited to be a full on laptop replacement. (Before i go any further, i'm gonna go ahead a say that this is all based on speculation from the conference). From a hardware standpoint and from what is we know, the iPad is inferior to the $300 netbooks out right now, but I'm gonna disregard all that to look at the software issues (that and i don't have the full spec list). The root of the problem comes down to the modified iPhone OS that the iPad runs. For an iPod Touch or iPhone, it's great, but for a $500+ tablet, it's far too limited.

-To install applications, you will have to go through apple's appstore which means Developers will have to abide by apple's rules and approval process. I feel as if i don't have to go into how corrupt that is.

-You can not run apps in the background. So you can't be running, say Pandora, and be typing up a document in their Pages application.

-You can't download files onto the tablet. That means if you want to download a music file you have to go through apple's iTunes store application. You can't download videos stright to the iPad, and cannot save anything you find on the internet.

-It's still reliant on another computer. If you want to add pictures from your memory card, you can't buy an adapter and plug it into the iPad (unless apple decides to release one). You can't download a movie straight to the iPad, you have to download it to your computer then copy it onto the device.

-There is still no flash. This is a key feature to a laptop, and i would have expected that something that is $500 at the minimum to have flash. Well it doesn't. Basically what it means is that you can't play any flash games, but, in addition to that, you can't watch any videos or pictures based of flash (e.g. a blog post that has a non-youtube way of uploading videos (like the gawker blogs) or a picture that has zoom functions (newegg.com)).

Basically what i'm trying to say is that the iPad is an iPod touch with a 3g connection, larger screen, better exclusive apps (thats all their "phenomenal" iWork and iBook things were, apps), and runs faster. It's far to limited to be called an laptop or a traditional tablet, but it's too big to call it an iPod or a PDA. The "middle ground" that apple said it was trying to fill wasn't filled at all. The "lower ground" (iPod and portable devices) was just expanded to support a larger device, because the iPad is just a limited as the iPod touch is.
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

You can't, you can't, you can't.

But what usually happens to any mobile Apple device? Am I rite?

Just let it play out.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    cmon, the device isnt even out yet. when OS 4.0 comes, multitasking may come. also, they seriously revamped the UI (just look at the new safari, mail, itunes) and they added a microphone. AND THE ADDED iWORK!!!
  4. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    They could have easily made this into a revolutionary device, by just putting conference calling in and making the OS hybrid.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    They added a microphone? Yeah, but the iPhone has one.
  5. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    the OS is basically a hybrid, even though its more iPhony. They included iWork, brushes and totally revamped the UIs of the built in apps. The new safari, itunes, ipod, mail, and photos are great! i wanted a webcam though!
  6. Led

Led Banned

Well, keep in mind that I'm just speculating from what i have seen at the conference. Also, as i said, the "revamped UI" that you called isn't actually a revamped ui. It's just updated/new apps to take advantage of the extra screen space.
  7. Dónde?

Dónde? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    And a Background, not revolutionary.

EDIT: Also the icons look stupid, being so small.
  8. TDG

TDG Active Member

Background picture =/= Revamped UI
  9. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Ok, it's not a fully fledged computer. We get that... but why would you want that? In order for it to be a computer with enough storage capacity to do the things we do on our desktops and laptops, we'd need a hefty hard drive. Whether that's hefty in dimensions, or hefty in price (talking SSD...)

The Samsung chip (I think?) in these now supports 64GB which is HUGE. It's half the size of my old laptop which was running 120GB (minus whatever XP was using for system files) That size hard drive is fit into a device the length of a book and the width of my finger. Incredible, no?

Any other problems people have with it CAN be fixed via software updates... Multitasking can be implemented tomorrow if Apple flick the switch. People choose battery life over features though. If people aren't savvy enough to use multitasking, they'll keep Last.FM on in the background all the time and it will always be fetching from 3G or Wifi and draining your battery to death. Literally.

The other problem is iTunes... as Manic said to me earlier, if he writes up an essay in Pages on his tablet, he'd have to connect to iTunes to sync it to the computer... and his college's computers don't have iTunes, which makes the whole point of doing "work on the move" redundant.

What they should've done is put in a USB port to take files off and on it... I'm talking .docs, .pdfs, etc. Any media though SHOULD be synced through iTunes because that works.

But the accessories... bare those in mind too. At the moment they're selling a connector which allows you to plug an SD card into your tablet... there's nothing saying they couldn't do that for USB too...?

So there are problems... but there were problem with the first gen iPhone and iPod Touch too and look at them now? Apple will learn, don't worry

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Germany

Germany Banned

Summing up the iPad in two words: You can't. It's terrible. It's just a big iPod. I was expecting at least some what of a normal computer's functions. It's such a hassle and is very limited.