Why downgrade from 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Glint, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Glint

Glint New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I still have OS 2.2.1 for my 2G touch. Before I spend the $10 for the OS 3 upgrade (which I totally resent) I’d like to know why so many people in the forum are downgrading from 3.0. I’d like to purchase some 3.0 only apps, but need to know what’s up before I pay Apple’s $10 extortion money.
  2. DazedUp

DazedUp New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    theirs other "ways" to get 3.0, cant say tho, but i dont know, some people think 2.2.1 is faster then 3.0 i personally think their the same
  3. LssThanThree

LssThanThree Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I've had no problems, yet.
    and I'm on 3.0
  4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I have had no problems at all on 3.0. Worth the €7 if you ask me.

@Dazedup Why don't people understand? Telling people to pirate software isn't ok if you don't tell them how. It's still infractable.
  5. Glint

Glint New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I agree piracy is bad, and I intend to buy the OS upgrade even though I know about the other “way”. With that being said, having to pay for an incremental OS upgrade is unconscionable. The big plus to this OS upgrade is the ability to cut and paste, which should have been included in OS 1 and really is only useful if you have an iPhone. The ONLY reason for a touch user to upgrade is so that we can use the apps, which from this time forward will only be compatible with OS 3 or higher. This kind of extortion gives pirates a legitimate argument.
  6. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well, no. It's not extortion. Piracy has no 'legitinate' arguement. It is illegal. Apple is legally required to charge for major iPod touch sofware upgrades. It's related to the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

Via iLounge (Comment no. 19).
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's not that all apps will stop working on 2.x. I'm an application developer and here's the deal: All apps need to WORK on 3.0. Most apps that worked on 2.2.1 will work on 3.0. There are new features in 3.0 that won't work on 2.2.1. So any updates from now on in some apps might not work in 2.2.1, but most of the others (like Pocket God or NFSU) will work fine in both versions.

With that said, 3.0 is worth $10. I got it for free because I own an iPhone (I guess that's the "other" way.

Please Register or Log in to view images

) but the copy and paste, autofill, and other features make it worth it. Plus then you can use TuneWiki, which I love.
  8. ChronicFuse

ChronicFuse New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Agreed and the only ting i have noticed from going from 2.2.1 to 3.0 is it seems to have maybe a 1/2 - 1 sec delay going into search function but other then that 3.0 ftw