Why doesn't Apple market the Touch as a PDA?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Solomon, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Solomon

Solomon New Member

I've had my Ipod Touch for a few weeks now and I love it. It took me a while to jump on the band-wagon because I kept telling myself that I wasn't going to pay 400 bucks for a MP3 player. The fact that it plays videos and has a web browser still didn't sell me on getting one. It wasn't until I found out that I could jailbreak it and use it as a PDA that I decided to get it. My point is since the Ipod Touch makes one hell of a PDA, why doesn't Apple market as such? A PDA that plays videos and music, because that is basically what it is once you jailbreak it. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
  2. permutated

permutated New Member

I think they will in time, but for right now you're pretty limited as far as the things you can do without Jailbreaking the darn thing.

Once the freeware apps come with the arrival of SDK, I think that their marketing strategy will change completely.
  3. PsYcHoKoRy

PsYcHoKoRy New Member

I personally dont think they will ever market it as a pda.. Its a music player with added perks not a pda.
  4. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

Precisely because you have to jailbreak it to get anything remotely resembling PDA functionality - Apple certainly wouldn't adopt a marketing scheme that requires them to encourage users to hack their firmware. Perhaps Apple could have bundled some sort of PDA functionality into it from the outset, but then they also would have probably added at least another $100 to the price tag.
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple is trying to sell the iPhone as the more PDA like one, which is why a lot of programs aren't included on the touch.

Since jailbreaking is necessary to use the Touch as a PDA, it is obvious why Apple wouldn't advertise it as one.
  6. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

i think the term pda makes it seem dorky to people. and apples genious marketing is going towards my demographic (14-20ish year olds). PDA just seems dated to me, the word just invokes an image of the 90's for sum reason in my mind
  7. DJ.

DJ. New Member

Maybe you should Google the Apple Newton.
  8. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

lol that made me laugh

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. aasimbeck

aasimbeck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    i also think pda sounds dorky when dealing with apple, apple takes soo much time while designing their products, especially boxes and paperwork
  10. DJ.

DJ. New Member

It wasn't really funny, the product was just a joke, they probably just didn't want a repeat :/