Why does JB slow everything down?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by bwilking, Nov 22, 2008.

1. bwilking

bwilking New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Does it seem to everyone else that JB is WAY SLOOOW......

It always takes my notes forever to load.

Keep in mind- I went from a fresh 2.2 to JB 2.2 without installing ANYTHING.

All of a sudden, very slow..
  2. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    you have things running in the background that are slowing it down
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

I'd have suggested restoring and then jailbreaking on a fresh install, versus one that already had junk in it. Or doing an upgrade install, restore, and then jailbreaking. Shouldn't cause a big slowdown that way, or much of one, unless you're running a bunch of extra background services.
  4. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I finally gave in a JB'k my 2.2 firmware. I made several earlier posts about JB slowing things down.
    Well right know I have to admit that there is no slowdown (after 1 day), and I have installed only Hebrew support, no other programs. The boot times and lag for loading programs is no different than the unJB, and no crashes.
    The question is what programs can I safely install that won't have memory leaks, run in the background or in some other way screw things up. Cydia is full of stuff but I learned my lesson from the previous round, to be cautious.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    A good way to tell what will slow your system down is to look at the file system content of the app (in cydia) before you install it. If there are any mobileSubstrate plugins or LaunchDaemons then those apps will usually use more memory and slow you down.

Thebigboss.org had a good explanation of what apps are good and what not.
  6. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Well, after a month of using a Jailbroken Ipod Touch I can say with absolute certainty that jailbreaking all by itself slows down performance, even with nothing else installed. Programs including mail, contacts, and media player take 2-3 times as long to load unless I reset, which helps for a few hours. (not to mention Cydia which takes about 30-45 seconds to load)
    I think that the long-time JB users get used to this and don't realize how much faster their units would be without the JB.
    I got tired of this so I just restored to unjailbroken 2.2
  7. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    IN my experiance even app store programs slows down your ipod. It was without doubt a difference on my ipod after a fresh restore, and when i synced my apps back onto the ipod.
  8. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)

Maybe, but not nearly as much.
    I use my ipod as a PDA on a daily basis, and having to wait 5-7 seconds for contacts to open is annoying.
    I found that with the JB I had to reset once or twice every day in order to keep the unit from getting really slow.
  9. Garazu

Garazu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've had my iPod un-jailbroken for a few weeks then I jailbroke it a few days ago. I haven't noticed any difference. The only issue I have with it is that Cydia takes a little longer to load than I'd hope for. But that doesn't mean that it was screwed up by the JB. Everything else runs at the same speed.
  10. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    In 1.x, Jailbreaking really slowed things down.

But after a few restores and going to 2.1, It doesn't seem slow like 1.x used to be.