Why did TouchMods decide to raise the mic price?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by reluttr, Apr 10, 2008.

1. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Seriously the same exact mics were like 30$ USD a couple of weeks ago now they have jumped up to 48.15$ USD with shipping included, so my question is why for the sudden price raise and does it have anything to do with them getting in that German magazine?

I mean I'm not trying to start a fight or anything and I believe that they want to get some money from the service, But if they raised the price just because they have been discovered seems a tad shallow to me.

I would just like a logical explanation to why they would just all at once decide to just raise the price, because it cant be inflation because it doesn't happen that fast, There don't appear to be a difference in quality or parts used. So all I can come up with is that they just wanted ore money per mic... What doesn't help is on their front page they are bragging about how they was in a magazine.

Not to mention the TouchMods's distributor Ridex attacked jlb8soccer when he offered to make and sell mics at a lower price.

Anyone have any ideas why they did this? Could the TouchMods group have become corrupted?
  2. ridax

ridax New Member

The touchmods mics have cost 30 *EURO* from the very beginning, and that INCLUDES shipping. They are still costing 30 Euro so there has been no price increase. In January, when they were first sold, 30 Euro corresponded to about 45 US$. Now, as most people know, the US$ has decreased in value dramatically, so now 30 Euro corresponds to around 48 US$.

So, yes, if you live in US, your price will have increased from US$ 45 (not 30 as you mentioned) to US$ 48,15. The Euro price has never changed from 30 Euro and you are free to pay in Euro if you prefer (but there shouldn't be any real difference in price).

I have not attacked jbl8soccer. I have purely corrected some misinformation that he was giving, like when he said we were not taking orders. If you look over the real situation, he said that we are not taking orders and gave the readers here the impression that ordering from him would be a faster alternative. As far as I know, the truth is that no one has received any mics from him, while we have shipped mics for almost 1 month now in the second batch, and are still shipping mics on a continous basis.

Another "hidden" point with my discussion with jbl8soccer was that I at that time already knew that we would release a headset solution, but couldn't say that in clear. So I just wanted to warn both him and buyers that it might not be a good timing to start working on the the mic solution and making a large stock of these. We offered everyone that had been ordering the mics and were waiting for delivery, to upgrade to the headset solution. Obviously this upgrade offer would not work for people that had ordered from somewhere else.
  3. jlb8soccer

jlb8soccer Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I never once made the point that ordering microphones from me would be faster. But I already worked out my differences with you and there's no reason to argue. Anyways, Reluttr, it doesn't really matter what they charge at the moment, because they have a captive marketplace. Until more models of a microphone are released then, the price will have to become competitive, but yeah. Thank you for your support, it is very flattering.

And of course no one has received anything from me. I am not rushing the process, in return, rushing can bring a sloppy product.
  4. ridax

ridax New Member

OK, sorry if you never gave the impression it would be quicker to order from you. Anyhow, I don't feel we have any problem with each other, only 3rd parties believe so.
  5. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ya what that one guy said they used toshow the euro on the page to look at the usd \you had to click this drop box thing but now it starts on the usd i got it in like a week after i paid for it lol i use it alot
  6. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how are the two of you he's talking about happen to be the first to reply that's a coincidince
  7. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well Ridax makes a good point, because touchmods is based in europe the Pounds to USD whould effect it.

However I still think it whould be better to buy from jlb8soccer for the cheaper price and then if I wanted I could donate to the touchmods group for their work on designing the original mic and their hard work on the VOIP software.

Actually I believe the touchmods group should support jlb8soccer, that way they whould have the means to sell mic's as a USD only price and a Pounds only price. This way they whould gain more sales, and they whould not have to worry about the price conversions.
  8. albert_$n

albert_$n New Member

9. ridax

ridax New Member

reluttr: Well, I think the main result of this thread is that we really didn't increase the price... It is just you mistakenly thought the price was US$ 30 in the beginning, when it actually was 30 Euro.

Then the effect of currency fluctuations will always change the price for someone, depending on which country they are from. It is nothing special for US, it is just more obvious because I offer payment in US$ directly. Had I just accepted Euro payments, it would just say 30 Euro all the time, and you wouldn't have noticed anything, but the end result would still be the same.

There are a lot of other countries there I don't accept payment in their local currency and the price is changing all the time for them. So this is in no way special for US and isn't really a price increase, just a fluctuation in currency exchange rates.
  10. jlb8soccer

jlb8soccer Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Reluttr, you can buy from Ridax, or you can for me. Whatever you want. Ridax and Touchmods make a top notch microphone. So, right now I am trying to create something that actually has a chance. But I can't guarantee anything yet. Its up to you.