Why can't we have a sensible discussion on this forum?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Abcmsaj, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Exhibit A:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172760

My thread I made 5 minutes ago. I wrote it out in textedit, then pasted it into a message field on the forum and editted it some more there. Then when I thought it was understandable - I posted it to the OT.

Simple enough. It's a thread with some cool things you can do in terminal that you never knew you could do. I wanted people to join in, post some other cool things that even I didn't know - As friends in an environment where everyone can trust each other.

Exhibit B:

Post 2 in the thread. Someone says to type that command into terminal. Of course, I assume that people reading the thread have no idea what Terminal is for - I don't know what it's for. That's why I started the thread. To learn new stuff.

That line of code, when you type your password, deletes your whole OS, inside and out, whilst you're using it. Everything would be wiped. Files, applications, settings - EVERYTHING. And when you think of the audience I was aiming this thread at: maybe younger people with their first Macs who want to make friends laugh - If they type that code, their computer is f***ed.

Now, what I don't understand is why people find it necessary to post something like that on this forum, and then feel their immaturity hasn't gone far enough: SO PUT "JK!!!" UNDERNEATH IN WHITE TEXT in the hope that someone will find it before they type the code into terminal...

It's happening all over the forum:

Links to Rick Roll.

Ridiculously unnecessary comments.

And it just seems like I'm on a forum of babies and people under 10 who have just discovered "the internet" and "omfg LOLcats.com is the best place in the world on the whole internet - and I also like to rick roll everyone I meet because it's so cool to do and everyone LOLs out loud when I do it."

/ENDTOALLPRICKNESS
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    agreed, i hate those noobs
  3. fckinfamous

fckinfamous Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Very well put.
    Mods we need to do something about these people.
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Under the current rules... this could be placed under:

or

5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    We do the best we can.
  6. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Its because this forum is overrun by little 13 year old dipsticks that think anything is funny.
  7. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Report and we shall ban.
  9. ITBRTI

ITBRTI Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Welcome to the internet forum hangouts. But seriously, no matter where you go on the internet, you will still find the little kids that think everything is mentally funny, and think that they can do whatever they want. Now go to a more adult-themed forum, say about cars, you will not find so much of this. Why? Immaturity.
  10. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

very very well put.
    i could not agree more. i have found MANY useles posts but did not think the mods would feel them worthy of reporting. so i just moved on even i had the urge to flame lol. but i am already 3 warnings under. i am on my best behaviour
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.