Why can't I connect to my Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mindfield, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Weird. I recently had to replace my Touch (long story. I'm a dumbass) and now that I'm setting it all back up I'm ready to get in with WinSCP and start making all the necessary changes and manual additions. My IP address changed from the last time I did this, but that shouldn't make a difference as long as I feed my WinSCP session the correct IP. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to have helped. As soon as I try and connect, WinSCP immediately pops up an alert box stating "Server unexpectedly closed network connection."

Please Register or Log in to view images

BSD Lite is installed, OpenSSH is installed. Jailbreak method was pretty straightforward: 1.1.1 exploit to install Installer, install OktoPrep, shift-update to 1.1.2 in iTunes, run 1.1.2 jailbreak, done. What am I missing here?
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Never mind. I'm an idiot. Y'know how you forget to do those things you don't do very often but are kinda necessary? Yeah, forgot to check the "Install SSH" box when jailbreaking 1.1.2.

I just didn't search enough for the answer. I guess that's a good lesson for this place: If one search doesn't turn up anything, try different search terms on related subjects. If you still can't find anything, then ask.

Unfortunately I'm having to do a complete restore right back to 1.1.1 to do the whole jailbreak over again because doing a shift-update of 1.1.2 (having already installed OktoPrep) and then jailbreaking didn't take.
  3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

What you do to your original iPod? And congrats to you figuring out the answer.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

<moron>

I microwaved it.

</moron>

I came home on Tuesday, coffee in-hand situated in one of those cardboard carryout trays they give you, per daily routine. As I get off on my floor, I take my Shure E3 earbuds out, place them in the tray, and put my iPod in the tray as well, so I don't forget them in my coat when I hang it up. Also pretty routine. So I get in the door and, being that it's chilly out, the coffees need a bit of warming -- pretty common in the chilly months, so into the microwave they go.

Six seconds. That's how long it took me to realize I didn't take my iPod and IEMs off the tray! Six seconds they were in there. But six seconds is enough.

The damage:

1. Right ear of the IEMs is half blown; it peaks at about 1/4 the volume of the left.

2. The iPod Touch still works fine except for WiFi, which is nearly dead. It can see my router if I'm about 2-3 feet away, but only with 1 bar of signal strength, and it can't connect.

I got the iPod replaced thanks to some nice folks at Apple Care. The Shures, I'm stuck buying a new pair.

Yeah. I'm a tongue-chewing moron.