Why aren't more applications programmed to rotate?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jarobata, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I much prefer typing and holding my touch in wide screen mode but only safari really is made for this. Is there a reason more applications like instant messengers and mail programs aren't designed to rotate like safari does? Would it be difficult to program or a lot of work because you'd have to design a 2nd GUI or what?
  2. Rallos

Rallos New Member

Well, that's probably because the people who have figured out how to code that aren't sharing and/or it's a pretty time consuming process. I'm only a novice programmer myself with pretty much no experience programming in objective C or java so I don't really know which one it is. What I can say for sure, is that Apple sure isn't going around handing out hints on how they made it work so well with MobileSafari.
  3. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I imagine everything a programmer would need is available in the built in software, it's just a matter of finding it and applying it. For example, programmers clearly have access to the accelerometer's output. If you know that, then I would imagine you can tell which way the ipod is oriented and then it's just a matter of having the program switch it's display mode accordingly. That shouldn't be that difficult.
  4. n3l619

n3l619 New Member

some programs just dont need it
  5. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 New Member

personally.. the only 2 things i'd want to see it for that are out right now are calendar... and apollo
  6. jarobata

jarobata New Member

I agree but I definitely would want it for mail and instant messenger