Why are custom IPSWs allowed?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by jfb392, Mar 14, 2009.

1. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I seriously do not understand this.
    Distributing modified Apple code is illegal; there's no question about it (or there shouldn't be, anyways).
    You're taking copyrighted material and distributing it without the author's permission, and also making unapproved changes to it.
    I believe Apple even mentioned in their DMCA response that PwnageTool uses illegal methods to create a jailbroken firmware (by distributing Apple modified code, which it doesn't).

So, if it is illegal, why are people allowed to post links to modified firmware?
    There is absolutely no good reason to; we can abstract and patch stock firmware very easily.
    Downloading an Apple firmware is completely legal and most users already have a copy on their computer, so it's not like they cannot use a program to create their own IPSW; it's simply that they are lazy.

The modified IPSWs are not hosted by iPod touch Fans, but that doesn't mean that Apple doesn't have a case against the site if they were to take legal action for custom firmware distribution.

I don't know why this is even allowed to go on (although I'm not a mod, so there may be a good reason for it, but I can't think one) and it's not like it's a small problem; it's all over the redsn0w section of the forum and I've reported most of the threads that I've found with modified firmware (and I've also included messages that I assume moderators see).
    The administration is very strict about distributing other Apple copyrighted material, so why not this?

Edit: Wow, while I was writing this, a user was banned and a thread was closed for posting a custom IPSW.
    I guess someone took notice.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    They are not allowed. We've received your reports and usually taken action. Keep it up, we'll keep on deleting them as we find them.
  3. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm glad I wasn't making an idiot out of myself by saying that they weren't allowed; I knew that there was absolutely no reason why they would be.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll keep it up.

4. seanG

seanG Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah. A custom firmware of your own could easily be made. That's why they release the programs.