Why are AppStore games at such a low price?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carfreak95, Sep 2, 2009.

1. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey guys, I was just wondering, why are appstore games at such a low low price? Nds and psp games are like way over $20 and that's for the crappiest one! For example, gangstar, amazing game! It's only $6.99! However, when gta comes out for psp, it sells for over $50! I know there's a difference between gaming on the ipod touch and psp, but not so big that there's a $40+ difference in prices! Like realsoccer 09, only $0.99! However, that EXACT same game realsoccer 09 for nds sells for about $30! And the graphics are !@#$ on nds! the ipod version is way better!
    Gameloft games are simply amazing! How can they afford to sell them at such a low price on the appstore? Is there really such a huge difference in gaming between these 3 devices?
    Just my opinion, feel free to comment.

And not that I'm trying to jinx it or anything, because these prices are amazing! But I was just curious as to why there like that.
  2. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Because the developer keeps 70% of the price, so theres really no need to be expensive, plus they want people buying them, and whats a better sales gimmick than low prices?

Wrong section though. ):
    This should be in the OT.
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Part of the reason is that for whatever reason(s), most consumers don't view the iPhone as a legitimate gaming platform, and would undoubtedly balk at prices akin to those of the DS and PSP.

EDIT: @iAppleCentral - The percentage has nothing to do with the huge price disparity.
  4. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well i'm sure if developers werent getting a reasonable price for their applications, they would raise it, so yes, the percentage DOES matter.

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @ Axis
    Ok so maybe your right and the message hasn't spread on how great the iphone is for gaming, that still doesn't mean the price has to be 20-40x's cheaper then nds or psp! Games could be just $10. Plus, mobile games (motorola razr etc.) are like 8.99 for a CRAPPY game! So...?

@iAppleCentra
    If you're right about the %70, then on a .99 app (rs09), devs could make $0.70 per copy. And lets say psp/nds devs earn just %10 per game, if there game is $30, they earn $3.00 per copy, they are already earning more then 3x the money! And I highly doubt they only get %10 per game, it's probably more, but that was just an example.
  6. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Theres two sides to the debate.

And theres some apps for 100+
    There was an app on the app store before it got taken off called I Am Rich
    It costed a thousand dollars and you didnt do anything.
    You just showed it to people to prove you have money.

So, not all apps are cheap.
  7. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well I was talking about gaming, and I think the most expensive one is $9.99.
    And that i am rich app was for $1000, but it was garbage, probably submitted by a 12 year old, and it was removed ages ago.

So that side of the debate is gone.
  8. iBoss™

iBoss™ Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alrighty then.
  9. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The expensive apps are not games, for the most part. They cater to businesses. (credit card processing is one example)

Another factor with the AppStore is that it ushers in "software impulse-buying", people can pretty much buy anything without thinking, and they get instant gratification. That is not the case with the PSP and DS. In order to feed this impulse-buying sensation, which is why some apps are so successful, the prices must be low enough so consumers don't put too much thought into it.
  10. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But still, how can gameloft make any money with such low prices? They probably spend thousands on each game!