White Screen (restore doesn't fix)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kevind123, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kevind123

kevind123 Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I tried everything I found online (restore, recovery mode, DFU mode). My iPod touch 2G MC Model, 4.0 Jailbroken with Jailbreakme.com. It died and I plugged it in, then no apple logo came up. After a few minutes a white screen appeared so I plugged it into iTunes and it started to sync so I canceled and restored it, that didn't help. So I did the process to put it into recovery mode (nothing came up on the screen, but iTunes recognized it) it restored and booted up (no apple logo again), so I put it in DFU and did a restore, no dice. I also tried doing the "hard reboot" with holding the home and sleep buttons for 30-40 seconds, and holding the home/sleep and the up button, then home/sleep and the down button. Is the LCD broken?
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Did iTunes say the restore was successful?
  3. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Sounds like you got the white screen of death
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the "White Screen Of Death" is also called:
    broken LCD.

the LCD is broken inside so you just get a plain white screen -.- had this once too but knew what it was because I dropped my iPhone. replaced the LCD (not glass nor digitizer!!) myself and it worked fine.
  5. kevind123

kevind123 Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Well that sucks, Apple voided my warranty for telling them I'll fix my screen for 20 dollars instead of them fixing it for 100, so it looks like I'll either be selling it or buying a new LCD. The only reason I care that it broke is because I needed to sell it to help pay for my new iPhone 4. Anyone want to buy it for like 70, LCD's are only $20 on Amazon and come with the tools.
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Possible Fix To the No Explanation White Screen of Death - iPod touch 2nd gen

If you dropped your iPod and it doesn't work - you've solved the problem. I did not drop mine, but I had the same symptoms described above.

I worked with mine for days having similar problems. I did nothing other than try to sync it when the screen when white. I hard reset multiple times, restored, even tried jail breaking. It would sync, but I had no control of the screen. Only a WHITE SCREEN. I began to notice if I pushed the home button hard when hard resetting, the apple logo began to appear longer. After some work, I found that applying pressure to the right of the home button brought the touch screen back to life (exactly where the digitizer cable connects). Come to find out, this is where the digitizer is connected. Good news is it works. I know that I will need to crack it open and soder (which I hear is nearly impossible) to the connector or buy a new digitizer. Cheaper than buying a new touch.

Hope this helps. After looking through multiple forums, it looks like a lot of people have this issue. Basically if you can sync, you probably have a bad digitizer cable connection
  7. PykaTux

PykaTux New Member

I have same problem with my iPod Touch 3rd 32GB. I was playing Epic Citadel, connected to PC and then just white screen. I ordered new LCD and tried to replace it but same white story.

I also tried restore and nothing. It reacts to touch, also I can play music, sync with iTunes etc.

Please help me. I don't want to throw out my iPod Touch with 32GB memory.
  8. iFlexxxy

iFlexxxy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ifixit.com or parts4ipods.com

Both are very helpful when you have voided warranty and a little know how...
  9. PykaTux

PykaTux New Member

I didn't find any suitable answer. I tried restart, restore and even replacing the LCD and nothing works.
  10. JamesT

JamesT New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    White screen of death...