White screen of death on tethered jailbreak! Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by shadyguy167, Jul 16, 2009.

1. shadyguy167

shadyguy167 New Member

I was recently using my iPod touch (just listening to music), when the screen went dead (out of nowhere) and even though my music kept playing (a Michael Jackson loop song forever lol) my iPod didn't respond to any button response. Then I took out my headphones and tried to restart the iPod or something and I got nothing, it was completely dead.

Later on, I got home and connected my Ipod and put it in DFU mode and booted it with code (redTool) and then all I got was a huge white screen and I tried to restore the iPod with iTunes but I got some kind of error saying it couldn't be restored or something. Now, without the booter it doesn't even turn on, and when I boot it it just goes blank.

My friend also had this error (although his wasn't jailbroken), and he's taking his iPod to an apple store to have it replaced and he could take mine along with his, luckily I still have my receipt but I was wondering if I might be able to fix it or if the guys at the apple store would notice my tethered jailbreak (in any instance I think they would presume it as dead since the home button is a little dead recently, which means trouble with DFU, and I don't think they would have a tethered firmware booter in their store).

So what do you guys think, any helpful insight? Can I at least take the tethered firmware out or something?
  2. billybojilly

billybojilly New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Who uses a tethered jailbreak? Haha. Rejailbreak with redsnow 7.2.
  3. shadyguy167

shadyguy167 New Member

Well I never wanted to reformat everything in my iPod to update to the untethered jailbreak because I never turned it off anyways, so it seemed like an OK choice for now.

Anyways, isn't redsn0w an iPhone jailbreak?
  4. wyndwarrior

wyndwarrior Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, not anymore it isn't.
  5. Bl00dr4g3

Bl00dr4g3 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    redsn0w is not just an iphone jailbreak. It is for ipod touches too.
  6. IPT2GISEPICWIN

IPT2GISEPICWIN New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No redsn0w 0.7.2 is for iPhone 2g, 3g, iPod Touch 1g, 2g using the 3.0 firmware.

Redsn0w 0.3 is for 2.2.1 firmware for iPod Touch 2g, the other iDevices still use Quickpwn for 2.2.1.

Redsn0w 0.8 is an update to Jailbreak the iPhone 3G S, yet still compatible with the other iDevices.

I suggest you use redsn0w, using tethered jailbreak is just stupid, it's easy to back your things up. Aptbackup + appbackup in Cydia is all you need. Or SSH into your iPod and back up your important things. Also you can use sharepod to back up music. No reason to still be on tethered.

Remember redsn0w 0.3 = 2.2.1 Jailbreak for iPod Touch 2g
    redsn0w 0.7.2+0.8 = Jailbreak for all iDevices on 3.0 firmware.
  7. shadyguy167

shadyguy167 New Member

Okay well thanks, it's been a while since I've been on the site so I thought that redsn0w was still for iPhones only. Ok now, I'm going to try to jailbreak it into the 3.0 firmware but since it's still tethered (I think), I need to put it in DFU mode first and then run redsn0w or something, right?
  8. IPT2GISEPICWIN

IPT2GISEPICWIN New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Restore to 3.0( but if you restore you will lose everything so backup anything important) and then jailbreak with redsn0w 0.7.2
  9. AmazingNachos

AmazingNachos Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    redsn0w was never iPhone only.
  10. josh0403

josh0403 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Redsn0w has always been an Ipod touch 2g jailbreak.