White Screen of Death and other oddities

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Shifty88, May 22, 2008.

1. Shifty88

Shifty88 New Member

So I plug in my Ipod to charge and fiddle around with some songs and movies, not doing anything too crazy. It doesn't recognize my Touch (it's Jailbroken, running on version 1.1.2 or something). I can never figure out why Itunes doesn't see it connected so I decided to update Itunes. This totally borked my Touch, for the last 2 hours I've been staring at various problems:

1) White flickering screen with vague outlines of the battery icon in the background.
    2) Complete black screen with just the battery (as if it were charging) image
    3) Frozen on the Apple logo as if it were booting

THEN as if by some far fetched miracle, it loads up normally and everything is perfect. I can play music, see all the stuff and it's golden.

As the battery is dying, it just shut off again and now it's back to problem #2.

Can't really do anything with it, can't charge it if Itunes won't recognize it, and what the f*** is that white screen problem? Should I expect to see much more of that? Can I return my ipod to Best Buy? Ayeeeeeeee
  2. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

actually, The ipod does recharge even if itunes doesn't recognize it.

this is what you should do.... so from what I know and correct me if I'm wrong that when your battery is charged the ipod is fine, right? When your ipod is working, plug it in and restore your ipod. After restoring update your ipod's firmware to 1.1.4 and download ziphone

Look up ziphone on google and it's the first link

hit download and download it for the OS that you are working on.

run ziphone.exe after extracting it and hit the "jailbreak" button and let it do it's thing

once its done you will have a glitch free updated ipod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

PM me for any ?'s or if I helped please + rep me
  3. shortperson1026

oh and best buy won't take it, because you hacked it.... if you are going to return it at least restore the firmware so it doesn't appear hacked
  4. Shifty88

Shifty88 New Member

Do you think BB will allow a return (if it glitches around again) even though I bought it on Boxing DaY?

And why did it do that completely funky thing and now it's working fine again!?
  5. shortperson1026

If it starts to glitch up again they probably will let you return it... so yeah
  6. The Ax

The Ax Banned

1.1.1 i assume,

this happened to me 3 times no cause know for me.

I tought it was normal side effect.

HardRestore it.
  7. Shifty88

Shifty88 New Member

Are the newer Jailbreaks (1.1.4) more stable?

And what is a cause (and solution) to Itunes often not showing my Touch? It gives me some kind of IPhone error and then a long string of numbers?
  8. hairclog

hairclog New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had half of my screen turn white. I could still get things to work because the touch sensors still worked but couldnt do much with it.

I restored the firmware and took it to apple(got a genius appointment). the looked at it for 30 seconds and gave me a new one. I didn't buy it from apple or have any paperwork and they just replaced it(I did register it when I first plugged it into Itunes).

They will take it back if its not working. I wouldn't worry if you can restore the firmware.
  9. KhmerB10

KhmerB10 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ahhh damnn,, that never really happened to me