Whistle Phone ipod touch app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cad2blender, Aug 31, 2010.

1. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

Hey guys I just downloaded the whistle phone app for my ipod touch and I had a question. While registering a whistle account I had to choose a phone number that would be tied to my ipod touch, now...say that I call my friend living locally and he receives my call, will he get my call charged as a long distance call? Since my local area code is 323 but my ipod touch area code is 401? Anyone know the answer? Is there another app that will not charge my friends when receiving a call using my ipod touch?

Thanks!
  2. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I'd think it would. But then again who doesn't have a plan where long distance isn't free nowadays? You can use skype, if he has a skype account. And if he doesn't, you could tell him to make one. Skype to skype calling is free.
  3. jotokun

jotokun Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    He most liklely will get charged, although it depends on his phone plan. If you dont want to worry about it, I recomend getting a google voice account and telling it to forward to your whistle number. When the GV number is called, whistle will ring. When you want to make a call, call your GV number from whistle and follow the prompts to enter the number you want to call.

There are other apps for phone calling, but none are as good as whistle. They all either require a SIP account which will have a bill, or be too unstable. Thats just my experience, though, you may have better luck.
  4. cad2blender

cad2blender Member

hey guys I just setup a Google Voice account and now I have a 323 area code number, people can call me using that GV number and it will get forwarded to my 401 number in this case whistle phone app alerts me that I have a call and I can pick it up, it is working perfectly for incoming calls. Now when I want to make an outgoing call using the whistle app, the receiver gets the call coming from a 401 number, how can I tell whistle or GV to use the GV number as my outgoing number?
    Thanks in advance guys!

p.s. with the new ipods coming out..anyone interested in a ipod touch 32GB 3G?

EDIT: Got it working I had to call my GV number from whistle and THEN dial the number I want to call from there. Is there a way that I can just dial from whistle and avoid dialing to my GV account first?
  5. jotokun

jotokun Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    If you're jailbroken, you could try installing GV Mobile from Cydia and set it up to use your google voice account. I found its somewhat crash happy on iOS 4, but if you only use the dial and settings tabs it should work.

Once its set up, you go to GV Voice to dail your numbers. When you do, whistle will ring. Answer whistle and wait for the other person to pick up.

EDIT: Just reinstalled GV Voice since I uninstalled it, the Keypad, SMS and Settings tabs work. Dont use History and Voicemail, they just crash.
  6. jinjin12

jinjin12 Active Member

for google voice, you have to link it to your real number?